Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One of those days

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chasarms, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yesterday was one of those days. One of those days that you wish you could capture in a can.

It's been absolutely beautiful here in the Lou for a few days, so we've had the windows open for a while to let the house air out before the A/C has to crank up for the summer. The kiddies and the Mrs. headed out for an adventure, and I was able to play for a couple of hours.

I don't know why, but as soon as picked up the bass and the stick to run the typical warm up stuff, something really enjoyable started coming out of the bass. I'm sure by the time I got loose, I was grinning ear to ear.

I'm not sure what it was, but I don't think it was solely attributed to my playing (I'd like to, but let's be honest here) I was playing quite well for me, but there was something sonically going on that I just don't alway get. The bow, the bass, everything. There a full, richness to the tone that isn't always there. The complexity of the sound was amazing.

It has happened before. Fortunately, I was smart enough this time to just sit back and enjoy it rather than waste it trying to figure out what was going on. I even picked up my acoustic guitar for a few minutes. It sounded pretty good too.

Not looking for explanations. Just interested in hearing about others who seem to have the same sometimes. It was just one of those days that reminds you of why you wanted to play the thing in the first place.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think it's always a combination of things, but usually and mostly head-space. It sounds like you had the right recipe yesterday. I find it good to remember the feel of those moments when things are fighting you (or you them) to get you back as closely as possible to that place.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's also the humidity thang, when it's in the 40%ish range, it seems like I barely need to touch the bass to get this huge warm sound out of it. Clear, fat, warm, projecting sound + little to no effort=HappyEd. :D :D :D :D :D

Put than on top of the whole winter-am-finally-OVER thang and you got an unbeatable combo....

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ditto what Happy Ed sed. Humidity plays a huge role, and when it's right, it's right.

FUNGUS - sorry, just couldn't resist. :)

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You evil, evil bastard.