Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One of those making money from home deals? What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I was called tonight about making money at home. I thought I would humor the guy, and listened to his little spiel, and hear the founder on a recording explaining the whole bit, and it seems like an okay idea. Now, the only problem I have, like most of these things is you have to put your own money on the line. Minimum is like 70 bucks or so. Regularly, they ask for just under 300. I use my network of aquaintances, and hand out some samples, and "the products sell themselves." They meet with my aquaintances and do the product pushing, while I get paid for being their catalyst. The place's website is http://www.vitacorp.com

I have not been able to find any unbiased reports about them, so I was hoping someone else had heard of them. I wondered why, if the product is so great, why they wouldn't just send me a sample, use it, and then decide if I would like to spread the word. I taked to a local rep, and I am going to be grilling him soon about all this, and I would appreciate any input any of you guys would have. If it is viable, I could make some money, but if not, I am not out anything.

I have been a salesman, and I know how sales works, and this seems like it could work, but I just know there is something behind this. Thanks for any help!

2. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    I smell a pyramid scheme!!! :hyper:

3. It's called Network Marketing and is a fairly legitimate industry. Lots of risk involved though especially when not all of the companies involved are reputable.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    True. I plan on talking to the rep quite a bit more, and seeing how he does this whole stuff, and really looking at what's really going on behind this, and not just a sales pitch. Like I said earlier, I have been a salesman, and I was a top salesman at a sizeable company. So I was really up on sales techniques, how companies appeal to customers, and really do know how all this stuff works. But what I plan on finding out is what this stuff really does, and if it has actual marketability among the people that I know. I really am going to grill him for concrete proof on it, and I may go as far to see pay stubs and bank statements. They really want a rep in my area (at least they say they do), and they are going to have to prove it to me if they want me to spend my hard earned money on it.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    anyone have any more insights?

6. MLM excrement.

Run like the wind.

Don't look back.

- Dave

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    haha. Well, it will probably end up like that. I sure as heck am not using my money and connections with people to move a product that I have not tried myself. So, they are going to give me some product, and if it doesn't impress me, then they can eat the cost. If it does impress me, and it does work, then I might consider it. But not until they prove themselves...

8. if these products are so great that they sell themselves, why would they need you as a middle man? Shouldn't they be selling these products to you? Do they seem at all interested in your ability to sell things? Because you having some amount of money wouldn't be evidence that you are a capable salesman, or even that you know any people. I imagine some things like this are legit, but I'd say it's a good thing you aren't jumping in headfirst.

9. In some/most/all MLM schemes, the product is incidental. The "product" is the pyramid scheme behind it. The physical product makes it legal.

- Dave

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Very true Dave. The thing that these pyramid marketing plans have above regular ad marketing is that they use the trust you have between you and your friends. This way they don't have to use standard advertising which can be very costly and quite risky. The pyramid scheme is risky as well, but has a different risks, which may be beneficial to some products.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The way you will make your money is by talking other knuckleheads into giving you the same amount of money you gave to the other guy.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

dude....the deal is that you're better than this.....you start in on this kind of crap, and all your friends are going to start turning and walking the other way when they see you coming.....

-Mike

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You know what, you're right. I am going to tell them that I don't feel like investing in such a product. I can probably make more honet money providing computer support for local people.

You've always been the smart one, Mike!