Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One of those things.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 18, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been thinking about getting a high-quality condenser mic for stage and recording, and the Neumann KMS 105 was a strong possibility. I did some research on it last night, and saw that it's a $600 mic that sells for $500. Mmmmm, a little too dear for me. I was thinking I could spend maybe $300 for a good mic. So I said, "Well, maybe something else."

So today I bopped on over to GC to pick up a few cords, and while I was there, I asked Ron, my main man in pro audio, if they had the KMS 105. His buddy standing next to him says, "Hey ... did you see that used one we just got?" Sure enough, right there in the case, is a Neumann KMS 105, just like new. The price? $299. So I asked to hear it and we plugged it in, and it sounded like it would sound fantastic if some one who could sing sang through it. So I got him down to $275 (less than half of list), and bought the danged thing.

Of course, since I didn't have permission from the finance department, I had to do some selling at home. You know, "I was going to get one of these eventually, and there was no way I'd ever see it at that price again, so I just sped up the process. It was an omen from god, the god of Catholics in this case." I think it worked.

It's the nickel one.

[​IMG]

2. Most excellent! KMS-105 is a great sounding mic, very transparent. That's a great price,too. Watch out for 10kHz in the monitors if you're using it live, though!

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to let our lead vocalist use it. I just do backups, so I sing through a funky ol' SM-58. I have a Rode NT-1, which is an "inexpensive" studio-style 1-inch condenser that sounds great, too. I got it free with my ADAT xt20. It sounds REALLY good.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, we've had a chance to try out this thing at two different rehearsals. Tuesday night, the girl singer used it, and it sounded, well ... bitchen. Tonight, in my real band, our guy lead singer used it and it sounded, you guessed it ... bitchen. Indeed there is a MAJOR improvement in the sound of a $500 condenser mic over a $100 dynamic mic (Shure SM58). I'm sure it has to do with the Neumann's 20-20Khz frequency response over the Shure's 50-15Khz.

So now I want to try a Shure Beta 87A out for size. Anybody use one of these? How is it?