Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One of those what should I get posts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ClarkeyTheBassist, Feb 6, 2001.

1. ClarkeyTheBassist

ClarkeyTheBassist

Jan 12, 2001
    Hi,

I've been playing for a year now and well my bass playing and general music skills are coming along nicely. (Or so say the experienced members of my band). I bassicly got invited to take up well decided to take the plunge on a starter kit from my local music store.

So I've got a 20W Amp and a Falcon Bass (Its basicly a poor fender copy). We're at the stage where we're going to start gigging in a couple of months and I've got some spare cash to spend on equipment plus as its my 21st birthday shortly my parents are going to give me some cash to spend on something that'll be about. The gigs we're going to play are on the whole going to be on the small side. So it begs the question, should I upgrade my amp, my bass or should I think about an FX unit or what?

My folks are going to give me about 150 pounds(UK)
    I've got about 150 pounds. I can go higher, but longer wait to get there and being a poor student I'd like to get maximum benefit from the least cash put in.

Now I know all about going into music stores and playing to your hearts content, but I'm really just looking for a general guide here. I don't want to piss the guys in my local music store off too much:)

On the bass lines, a mexican P-Bass is just a little out of my reach.

And on the amps, well I have no bloody clue what I need or should look for. At our practice room I've been using a rather hefty sounding Peavy Bass amp, but I can't remember the wattage.

We tend to play a lot of rock and punk stuff (on the whole reasonably simple bass lines), but I've been working through my books and learning my theory, mainly due to what the rest of the band want to play.

Anyways, help appreciated and all that!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As for a specific reco, I think I'd better leave that up to someone who knows what prices are like in the UK. But I think the advice, "look at used ("pre-owned")" is universally good.

I know I wish I had heard that when I started 400 years ago.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'd consider hauling that hefty practice room Peavey to gigs 'cause your 20W amp isn't gonna cut it. That will leave your money free to look for a bass. Check the used market and hopefully you can find a good one out there within your budget.

5. Hi and welcome to TB Clarkey
    I would suggest that if you are cuurently jamming and the Peavey can keep up with the rest of the band then see if you can borrow that and use it although if it is less than 100W then it will pretty much suck for gigging. About getting a bass you could probably look into getting a IBANEZ they should sell for around your price but the best would be to get a 2nd hand Fender MIM they are a good allround bass for the price. If you shop around on e-bay musicians freind etc you could find some great deals on both amps and basses. Good luck!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am afraid that for £150 it's going to be very difficult - I'm with the other posters in that I think upgrading the bass is the better option and will add more to your playing. You can always hire or borrow a bigger amp or go though the pa.

I had a look through the recent UK magazines I've got - like "Guitarist" and there isn't really anything about under £150 new except the Squier affinity basses. If you do spot a Mexican Fender in a local paper, then I would say go for it - the going rate seems to be £200 - £300, so if you get close to £150 you are doing well.

I would recommend Fenders at this price range, as they are easier to upgrade than say an Ibanez - lots of stock parts. Plus they will hold their re-sale value better than most other makes.

7. ClarkeyTheBassist

ClarkeyTheBassist

Jan 12, 2001
    What I meant to say and didn't make clear is that my folks have got £150 for me and I can match that too so I've got a grand total of £300 :)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ah well £300 gives you a lot more options for basses - esepcially second-hand. But even new the Mexican P-bass retails at £285 and "Flying Pig" in London advertise Fender USA Corona Jazz Basses for £309. My local shop in Brighton will do a Mexican Jazz for £299. You can get some nice Yamaha basses for just over £200 - like BBG4S for £229.

If you shop around and try as many basses as you can, you should be able to get a good deal - tell them you've got £300 cash and what can they do? Don't take any deals there and then but compare a few shops at least - say things like "well the last shop offered me a MIM Fender for £299" can you do any better or throw in any extras?

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The city where I live has several shops that rent out sound equipment for gigs. I don't know if that option is available to you, but if you can't borrow the Peavey from the practice space, renting might be a good option for your sound equipment. That way you will have a chance to see how it sounds, how hard it is to schlep around, and you can save up for what you want, using the money you have now to improve the quality of your bass. Seriously check out buying good used equipment, as was mentioned above. Your money will go much further.

jason oldsted

10. ClarkeyTheBassist

ClarkeyTheBassist

Jan 12, 2001
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

BTW, I'm in Edinburgh incase anyone has any detailed knowledge of the best place to look.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whoa! I've been there, man! I went to the castle. It was, how you say? Mo' bitchen.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Edinburgh, eh? Cool, my sister was born there! I lived in Ayr-by-the-Sea over on the west coast for a year or so. Me pa was in the USAF (C-130 jockey), stationed at Prestwick, around '66. Beautiful place in the summers, but sheesh, y'all can keep those winters there! :eek:

I'd suggest strongly the MIM Fenders as well. You may have to play a few to find a real good one, but they do exist, and are more than worth the money. Good luck! :D

13. I reckon the best bet would be to get the latest copy of Guitarist mag to see if there are any good shops within range. Also check the Yellow pages for music shops large or small within the local area. The smaller music shops generally won't have a good range of new gear but you just might find a nice s/h bass...