Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ONE OFA KIND BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Feb 4, 2002.

1. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    I was having a discussion with my family about 7 8 and even more stringed basses. They did not believe me so if anyone has any pictures could you please post them so I can prove my family wrong?

thanks,
    Bassplayer101
    P.S. WHAT IS THE BIGGEST STRINGED BASS DO THEY MAKE?

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Just search John Turners posts, there are plaenty of pic in those. Maxvalentino was talking about a nine stringer this weekend.

Hope that helps.

Mike

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think Juago's bass has a .190 on it...(From Angus' thread a while back)

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Roscoe nine
    [​IMG]

nuff said

5. :eek: geez,

I honestly don't believe some people...

6. GruvSyco

GruvSyco

Jan 25, 2002
    I wish I could remember where I saw it... But there use to be a pic floating around of Jonas Hellborg with something like a 12 or more string bass. I believe it was actually in the low range, lower than a grand piano, and went as high or higher. It was a freak of nature.

7. GruvSyco

GruvSyco

Jan 25, 2002
    Well after looking around a bit, I found a really bad pic. I was wrong, it was a ten string. You can read a little about it here. Its tuned EADGCEBEF#B, and goes as low as a Bosendorfer Grand.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's six of 'em. My fretless Lakland ain't on there.

[​IMG]

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OOOHHHHHHH! You means basses with lots of strings on them, not lots of basses with strings on them. Never mind.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Warrior Crusader 15-stringer (well, the headstock anyway) -

[​IMG]

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Munji...are you...rich?

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Someone had an 18 stringer, but I can't remember who. He is now deceased(RIP).

13. Good lord!
    I mean no offense to those who choose to play the 6+ string basses, but the fretboard on that nine string is half a mile wide!! :D :D
    I think I'll stick with my four and five strings, thank you.

Hey munji, nice basses! You're PJ (second from the left) looks like what I'm custom building, sans preamp. Looks great!

14. some sites for the 'how many strings does that thing HAVE?!?' connoiseur...

http://www.conklinguitars.com/
    http://www.billthebuddhadickens.com/
    http://www.kickstartchubby.com/
    http://www.mp3.com/subcontrabass

and the 18 stringer who's no longer with us is (Douglas) Allen Woody, formerly of Government Mule. although there's some talk that Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick had an 18, too...

as an 8-stringer, I can vouch for there being MANY players out there with lots of strings. I correspond with many on a regular basis... no pun intended. don't forget that there are players using instruments like the Stick (Tony Levin, Nick Beggs, Trey Gunn...) and its analogs, the Warr and Megatar. some of these have 14 strings (although rarely more than 6 actual bass strings.

just to convolute things, there are musicians like Charlie Hunter. this cat plays an 8-string guitar, but his lowest 3 are BASS strings. he plays both bass and guitar parts at once, unlike a lot of other tappers.

when will the madness END...!! :eek: :D

hope that was some help. in the meantime, keep it happening at the low end,

Stew

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This one has quite a few...

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Here's another cutie...

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What the heck, here's another one.

18. LoL. o, i swear, i will never get tired of posts like this.......only one question, how on earth could you lift up the 15.........crane maybe....lol. i love this stuff...

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I was thinking Allen Woody, but that sounded too much like Woody Allen, so I didn't post that. And also, thanks for the reminder on Tom Peterson. I believe that he does(or did) have an 18 stringer as well.

All of the 12 string guys owe a debt to Tom. The whole concept was his, put into production by Hamer.

20. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    HOW CAN YOU PLAY ONE OF THOSE?????!!!!
    :eek: :confused:

Does anyone know where I could hear music created by this monster 15stringers?