1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"One Owner" Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SethD, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Does anyone else find it strange when a shop lists a bass as "one owner" when they purchased it from the original owner?

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Maybe they should say one player bass, not counting everyone who tried it out.

HG1180 and jamro217 like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah, how would they know for sure? The shop has to just take the seller's word for it.

4. They would know if they originally sold it to that person.

MMiller28, HG1180, murphy and 6 others like this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I don't find it strange. It's okay to ask for proof though. You could ask: "Was this a customer of yours that traded it back in?" or "Do you have the original paperwork/COA?" etc....

6. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, I recently sold a bass I'd owned for almost 40 years. I put 'original owner' in the CL ad. But since it was a local sale, I figured the buyer could determine that it was 'adult owned'.
    If I was buying, I don't think I'd ask for paperwork.

murphy, jamro217, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I love to get any paperwork I can when I buy a bass. COA's are included with very many basses. It's worth asking.....Don't know why you wouldn't ask for it.

jamro217 and teh-slb like this.
  8. Used is used, but current condition will determine the price point for me. I've seen one owner instruments owned by teens where condition runs from like new to beat to crap. Likewise for adult ownership.

iruyle, Bassdirty, Marko 1 and 7 others like this.
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I try not to nitpick too much over semantics.
    What I find strange is when a bass has been up for sale multiple times by multiple sellers over a short period.

iruyle, groooooove, Bassdirty and 6 others like this.
  10. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    That's pretty common here on TB. It's kind of a GAS fueled "Catch & Release" program.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't think the whole "original owner" thing carries much weight on the used bass market. I wouldn't pay a single penny more for that "privilege" over some other equal condition bass that has passed through a handful of players.

iruyle, BOOG, mcnach and 7 others like this.
  12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I don't see the shop as a separate owner.
    As long as the product backs that claim, I'm okay with buying a one owner second hand bass.

I mean, when you buy second hand you know it has been used and you have no idea how. It could have been in the ownership of one person, who regularly took it to open stage evenings and let everyone have a go. And sometimes drop it. And leave it out in the rain.
    And there can be that one instrument that has had seven owners. Seven consecutive dentists who played it only once a week for a few minutes after thoroughly washing their hands. Who would, nonetheless bring it to a tech every six months, for a change of strings and whatever maintenance the tech thought appropriate.
    I mean there are used instruments that have been well cared for and there are those that have taken abuse to some degree.

How many persons were involved is irrelevant.
    What matters is what kind of instrument is it and what state is it in.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Doesnt matter to me either way. Either a nice bass or not a nice bass. Could have 11 owners and be killer

mcnach, Mastermold, murphy and 11 others like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm with the grownups: "one owner" means nothing. ;)

J-Bassomatic, iruyle, BOOG and 12 others like this.
  15. nbsipics

nbsipics Unstuck in Time Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    One prior owner maybe would be a better way to state it? And I think you ask this because of a recent for-sale posting on TB maybe. ( could be wrong )

A bass could have been in 3 prior owners' hands and still be mint. Or it could be "original owner" and beat to crap.

It is what it is at the time of shipment. And that adds unfortunately yet another variable sometimes.....

My experience buying gear from fellow TB'ers has always been excellent. I got what they sold it as, and it arrived well-packed and in excellent condition. Admittedly, I won't be doing that again for a while for obvious reasons...

jamro217 and SethD like this.
  16. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Wake Forest, NC
    I've been in a couple of those here. Its really nothing wrong with the bass. I have my two main basses that I've had forever, but I rotate out a third pretty regularly. I rarely if ever break even with shipping and everything. But I like playing new basses so I go trolling a few times a year. It literally is the dumbest hobby. But I like the anticipation and getting the box delivered and so on.

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Hold over from used car industry where it "might" make a difference.

18. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    If it plays and sounds good and it's what I'm looking for, it could be a 100 owner bass, for all I care.

mcnach and JimmyM like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right...how is that a selling point? I've seen multi-owner basses that looks like they were only driven on Sundays to church by Grandma, and single owner basses that look like they were dragged behind Grandma's car.

Geri O, mcnach, Mastermold and 2 others like this.
  20. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    132D04DB-D90D-4D8F-994A-E5F1BF4387B2.jpeg This is off topic but ...I’m getting bored so here goes!

I bought a new 1981 Precision Special. Top shelf bass at the time. A while ago, almost 40 years later, I dragged it into my local music store.
    The salesman says where did you buy this? I said Axis on Hastings Street. He says ‘I probably sold it to you’.

I checked. He did!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020