1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One pedal for funk?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Dec 14, 2011.

1. I may have some gigs coming up soon with a friend's funk / R&B / go-go band, and I'd like to try a pedal or two to thicken / funkify my sound, at least on some songs. My background is mostly in jazz and I've never used effects before. I is ignorant. What's good to start with? Mutron? Envelope filter? Fuzz?

2. All three!:D:bag:

3. An envelope filter would be a good place to start. 3 Leaf Audio makes two really good envelope filters, the groove regulator and the proton. Iron Ether's Xerograph Deluxe can do some pretty funky things, in addition to tons of synthy filtery goodness. EHX makes the Qtron, which is pretty good, apart from its lack of volume control and 24 V power requirements. I'm using an EHX Enigma, which I'm enjoying, but it seems to be better at making synthy kindy of filtery sounds, and isn't as "wet" sounding as some of the filters I mentioned above. Might get a Xerograph deluxe, hehe.

You could also try an octave pedal, those thicken things up nicely, and are great to make a groove sound absolutely gigantic. I'm using an MXR BOD, and it's great for those purposes, though if you want a polyphonic octaver, I'd recommend the EHX POG2 or MicroPOG, or the T rex Octavius.

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Maybe a VT bass, for the R & B thickening...

5. Envelope filter. Helps if you have compression, too.

6. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    If you need one pedal to rule them all, Envelope filter. Big time.

7. Source audio envelope filter with an overdrive pushing it. Tons of different filter sounds and a phaser/flanger

8. if you combine the xerograph deluxe with the oxide you can pretty much paint the air with more funk than anyone can handle

9. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I can do the same thing with garlic and baked beans.:bag:

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  11. Mutron *is* an envelope filter, at least in common parlance. I'd go w/ the envelope filter, and an octaver as a second. Lots of EFs to choose from, but the xerograph, Groove Regulator, and the Source Audio BEF are all "hot" right now.

12. A little envelope filter goes a long way in funk and RnB.
    "Funkin is my business and business is goooood"

13. Since when is funk defined by an envelope filter?
    See: Rocco Prestia.

14. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    388030886_o.

This

15. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of envelope filters. Does anyone use a Moogerfooger MF101 for this? What are the pros / cons of using a MF101 compared to the xerograph, Groove Regulator, or Source Audio BEF?

16. Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter: TONS of different sounds and easily available used for under $100 in the classifieds.

S

17. Yoooo, you gotta tell me what band and when! It would be pretty sweet to see a fellow TB in action especially in a genre so unique to the area!

Anyway, my two cents: If you really want a pedal or two for funk, go-go and R&B go with a envelope filter and an octaver, in that order. I would recommend the MXR Bass Envelope Filter and Bass Octave Deluxe. They go hand in hand and sound great on their own too. Spencer (3Leaf Audio) really knows what he's doing with his filters too so he's most definitely worth a look. Fuzz would be after those two on the list of importance considering what you'll be playing. Like folks have said (and I'm sure you know), you don't need pedals to sound good but they can make a world of a difference if you use them right :).

Here's me messing around on my BEF:

Bobby Proud & The Disfunkshun Junction - So Disfunkshunal (The Proud Family) Bass Cover - YouTube

Now here's the infinitely funkier Uriah Duffy tearin' it up with a BEF and a BOD, respectively:

MXR M82 Bass Envelope by Uriah Duffy - YouTube

Using the new MXR 288 Bass Octave Deluxe - YouTube

18. They all sound VERY different. I won't get into it here just because I tend to ramble when it comes to filters but there's plenty of info to be had with a search or three. The MF-101 sounds great and can be used as a normal envelope filter but the bypass is awful. A lot of folks seem to use a true bypass looper with it.

19. Kwesi, that MXR M82 did sound pretty funky indeed. I was thinking Brothers Johnson when I was watching those youtubes, good stuff bro.