1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowDownWays, Oct 14, 2009.

1. If you guys could choose 1 pedal what would it be. I play country rock / classic rock in a trio. Looking for something to fatten up the mix a little when my guitarist is soloing.

2. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Vt bass

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    maybe a low-gain dirty boost/overdrive?
    ^^ vt bass is a good choice too

4. Might help to tell you the gear I'm currently using. Duh. All tube head thru a 410, Fender P/J with Chromes flats. The head does have overdrive that i do use on the more kick ass tunes as it's fairly aggressive.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    do you like the aggressive overdrive from the head?

6. Yeah. But it's not what I'm looking for to help "fill" some of those spots that need it.

7. It's too early and that's totally how i read that quote.

To the OP; +1 on the VT Bass as a good 'all around pedal', but to fatten things up, possibly look into a Chorus or Octave pedal. In a 'power trio' setting, i personally love a good Octaver when the guitarist is off in squiddly land.

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    VT Bass or an Octave Pedal IMO.

Or Maybe a Delay set for an ambient Tone (Very Quick delay, like 8 milisecondsish)

9. I'd go with a good fat compressor or a lush chorus. But it may be simplier than that, maybe an EQ pedal might help to fast-change your tone when the guitar sings.

10. The dual octave MicroPog gives a lot of possibilities

11. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    i doubt a comp will help. I think your best bet is the delay, it'll make your tone a lot bigger, which what i think you're looking for.

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Tuner. :p

Beyond that, my ProCo RAT Clone. I do need to grab a VTBass though.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    :D

14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    a slight chorus is always useful

15. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    lpb 1, or similar booster - it can give the valves a little extra push, giving you a virtual third channel.
    other thing to consider could be the bass big muff - with the 'dry' setting you can add just a little edge to your sound, and also the ashdown LoMenzo hyperdrive will do a similar thing but with overdrive rather than fuzz.
    A tube screamer type pedal might also give you what you need - digitech bad monkey (or badder bass monkey) might be worth a try.

chorus or even a subtle flange effect is also an option. i use either the boss ceb3 or DOD stereo bass flanger.

16. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    DHA VT-1

17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

In your format, I would give a chorus a try and toy around with the settings....don't think you want a "liquid" chorus, but something to give your bass a little more presence

18. Thanks for all the input. Question on a chorus- does that affect upper register notes only?

The delay sounds interesting as well. How does that make your sound "bigger"?

19. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I love my Pigtronix OFO Disnortion.

Parallel overdrive/fuzz in series with an Octave (+1 ringmod) distortion.

I use my overdrive to fatten up my jazz bass and play real quiet...but it's incredibly touch sensitive, so dig in and it gets grittier...lean back and the tone gets bigger...fills in the spectrum for other players' solos.

Also, the Fuzz has 6 EQ notches to add in some tone that may or may be lost from the guitarist's switch from rhythm to lead

If the guy plays a big fat solo, the 'octava' channel can slim you down, but it also can boost your level.

I love it after my OC-2, as that really fattens up the octava channel.

Maybe I should just write a stock 'OFO' thread reply...

20. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Duh, a multi FX of course.

:bag: