One Pick Up or Two

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Womber, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Womber

Womber

Dec 29, 2018
    Greetings Fellow Low-Enders!

As an interesting project I was thinking about venturing into hot-rodding an inexpensive bass. I talked to a luthier friend of mine who suggested building my own unique bass from scratch instead ( with his help ). Purchased a hollow body ( swamp ash ) and a 32” scale roasted maple neck from Warmoth. My buddy recommended a single passive pick up near the neck and I am very cool with that. Wondering, however, if I will miss having the optional versatility of a bridge pick up too. I am looking for that woody acoustic tone and classic vibe from a semi-hollow body, which is what I will get with the neck pick-up, but figured I would get some feed back from y’all regarding adding an additional pick up at the bridge. I already have a couple J style basses. Any thoughts?

JRA likes this.
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You can get a great faux acoustic “woody” tone by selecting a pickup that is bright and clear on its own (like a Jazz or a Strat pickup), and placing it right up against the fingerboard. If that’s the tone you want, then a bridge pickup won’t bring much to the party.

W32_0384.jpg

dwizum and 4StringTheorist like this.
  3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

ctmullins and your buddy are speaking the truth on this one. I'm a third voice. If you want back pickup burp, grab one of your Js.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

single pickup axes sure are fun! two-pickup axes are even funner, IME. but all of that is subjective, of course...like "woody tone." if you like "optional versatility" you might look at two pickups --- and i'm sure your luthier friend will have some great ideas for you to consider! in any event: good luck with your pickup choices! :thumbsup:

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Two neck pickups, positioned like on the Hofner cavern bass, or Epi Rumblekat ;)

ctmullins likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I guess it depends on the pickup and where it is located. Stingrays and P basses "seem" do do OK in the market. Am I right, people? If it's the right rig you won't miss the extra knobs and tones. But I wouldn't talk you out of 2 pups either. Purely preference. Have fun.

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

I prefer 2.
    That said the right one in the right place,
    Magic.

8. Womber

Womber

Dec 29, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback everybody (no pun intended). I had shoulder surgery in October 5 so I can’t even start construction for a few more weeks. Will take my time Figuring this all out!!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021