one-pickup guitar question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Hi!

I notice that most one-pickup guitars have their pickup set in the bridge postion...I am thinking about buying a new guitar and was thinking that since i usually only use the neck pickup i would like to buy a single pickup guitar with the pickup set in the neck pickup...does anybody do this?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, I don't know if you're set on having a solid-body guitar, but there are a great number of jazz-style semi-hollow guitars that only have the neck pickup. Personally, I love that sound. It might not be for everybody, though.

What's your budget like? Is that type of guitar interesting to you?
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There are a couple of Danelectros (mostly oldies) that had the pickup just in the neck. There's also (was?) a guitar made by Epiphone called I believe the Zephyr that was hollow-bodied with a neck pickup.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Here's an Ibanez artcore with one pickup. I'm not a fan of most of Ibanez's guitars or basses, but the Artcore semi-hollow guitars are actually pretty sweet.

They have cheaper guitars at Rondo Music, too. I've never been able to play one, however.

5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Good looking guitar!

6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Honestly, though, something to consider is that you might just find a guitar that really suits you no matter how many pickups it has, and just use the neck one exclusively. It can't hurt having the other pickup there. You never know when you'll need that twang. ;)
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Washburn has a new guitar model called the J4. It's a copy of the old Gibson Howard Roberts model.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

The original:

8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I support Rondo's instruments - I've got an Agile AL-2000. While it has two pickups, there is the selector switch, and its pretty bassy.

Its a little on the heavy side though...
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Same basics as which bass should I buy.
    What kind of music.
    What kind of amp.
    What's your budget.

Even Blackmore and Hendrix who mostly used the front pup used Strats, if your going for a blues sound, Stevie Ray Vaughn, you want that out of phase sound from 2 single coil pups. Rock, Hard Rock and Metal, mostly bridge humbuckers ala Gibson or PRS or the likes. Jackson, Ibanez whatever.
    Even if you don't use the pick up now, why limit yourself? I use the bridge almost all the time but I have 2 Strats, 2 PRS's, and a Les Paul. I can do whatever I want. When I play Hendrix or Deep Purple, I have the tools.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just use a Strat 900% of the time with either just the neck pickup or the neck and middle.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With a bridge pickup, you have the ability to roll the tone off to get less high end...

But with a neck pickup only you can't add highs...
  12. I know...thats what i am thinking...its just that i don't have/want to spend a lot of money on a guitar and i figured that one pickup is cheaper than two...apparently, thats not the case...
    i still need to find a guitar though! I just don't know which one! I kinda go for the less-than-mainstream shapes, right now i have my jagmaster, and i don't see a whole bunch of people playing those shapes, but i see a lot of strats, teles, les pauls, SG, and PRSs so i kinda want something different that those...i am kind of eyeing up that mockingbird on for 100 bucks, but i don't want people thinking that i am some kind of goth or heavy metal guy!
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you're looking for a very cheap instrument, look into older japanese Fenders and Squiers. I've bought my MIJ Squier and MIJ Fender Tele's for $200-300 and for the price they are great guitars.

Squier Japans are bit flimsier, but the wood is good so for the price you get a good beginners guitar, and with a bit of hardware change a gig-worthy axe.