Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Edwcdc, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have what may be a stupid question. I have a bass that currently has two stock soapbars in it. I want to replace the preamp with the 3-way Bartolini and I was thinking about changing the pickups also. Here's the thing, I mostly play with the bridge pickup and I am thinking about only changing that for now to a Bartolini. Is this some crazy unheard of modification or can I get away with this. I guess money is the issue here so I am trying to keep it reasonable and just changing one pickup seems like the way to go. Opinions please.

Thanks
    Ed

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I forgot to ask. The pickups I need are the Bartolini M4 shape. This is 1.5" X 4.00". This pick up is available for 5 string basses. My bass is a 6 string. Will a pickup designed for 5 string work with a six string?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    72mm for a sixer would certainly count as a narrow string width :)

You could also check out EMG pickups, the 40HZ passive or the EMG-40P, EMG-40J, EMG-40DC active soapbars.
    http://www.emgpickups.com

As to your original question about only changing one pickup, there's no reason why not. You can run into impedance issues if mixing active and passive pickups, or wiring issues if mixing matching some oddly wired pickups like Villex.

But apart from that you should consider the following possible issues:
    • differences in output levels
    • hum cancelling issues i.e. are you replacing one pickup of a single coil hum cancelling set (where one pup is reverse wound) with a humbucker.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Thanks guys. Best I can tell, my string spacing is 5/8 inch at the bridge 3.44" overall. This is 87.3mm. Of course I may be off with my calculations. I will have to measure when I get home from work.