1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available One Piece Alder Fender P body from MN5 stripped/rough sanded

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by fnordlyone, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Price:
    $300
    Strings:
    First $300 plus shipping gets a very nice hunk of wood. I personally stripped and sanded body from a MN5 Black Label "Squier Series" P Bass. I have the neck but would like to keep it to play around with a P neck on J experiment. Will negotiate if you really want to keep them together.

First time selling here: so I read the rules. It appears I don't have to sell to anyone I don't want to... So, Warning! If you plan to paint this body, keep it to yourself... I will not sell to anyone who mentions "paint." I will not sell for less than asking price. I have a pay pal account and prefer using that payment option.

Body weighs less than 7 lbs. It needs finish sanding... I stopped short on neck slot (didn't want to take too much off and cause a loose fit), still has lacquer and a bit of paint... spots where lacquer is still on body.
    This will make a very sweet trophy bass for somebody,
    fnord!

3314909-fd40eac071734145521009723f223cf8.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. Maryvillebass

Maryvillebass Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Maryville, TN
    Why so expensive? I think maybe an explanation of that price may help you sell it... Don't mean to offend.

SodaCity bass likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Can you take a pic of the butt end of the bass?

It looks like it might be a 2 or 3 piece with laminates top and bottom.

4. By Bob, you are correct. I was fooled through much chemical strip and sanding... thought it was a legit one piece. Never looked at the butt except through safety glasses while sanding, apparently. Also, I guess I never thought someone would use laminates on a bass that would be painted. Whoops!
    I retract my classified... I can afford to keep it and finish it for myself if it isn't worth money!
    Thanks for the heads up Charlie Monroe,
    fnord!
    too good to be true

5. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    No problem, Mr Fnord.

Mexi Fenders were occasionally laminated if they were to be sprayed as bursts.

Also, your ad is still active. You can edit it to change the "For Sale" header to "No longer available".

6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    The squier series was likely one of the surplus USA made bodies and necks that were shipped down to mexico for finish and assembly. They were pretty much built with squier hardware and electronics. Change the tuners and pickups on one of those and you have a pretty good instrument.

fnordlyone likes this.
  7. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You can actually make a pretty good guess at which bodies are multi piece construction with laminates even when they still have paint on them.

A common way to conceal the laminations was to spray the entire belly cut black instead of the perimeter only. This way the trans colors of the burst wouldn't betray the seam from the back side lam.

So, if you see a burst with a huge wide black belly cut, odds are good it is not a one piece body.

8. I have a few pics of the strip-- most died inside my old Mac Pro. I got the body and neck off CL, and seller had painted it forest green or something with Krylon spray can. That came away easy enough, but the rest was brutal. It appeared to be a beauty pearl white before bonehead got his spray can; under that: like a charcoal black grainy textured primer on top of a clear laquer/sealant (these two layers impervious to chemical strippers from Lowes) clogged up many sanding pads. I already own a MN4 "Squier Series" P upgraded to Duncan Vintage with the whole 250 CTS pot upgrade that I quite enjoy playing. I always sorta liked the original pu's sound as well though. Slapping them into the totally stripped MN5 body and putting it back together with its half stripped (hardware wise) neck was and is now still the plan for the MN5.

3375731-519f013afe2f62ccacb8d2157ee2ba34.jpg
    3313676-451b9bf39db5c3c3ecffb8d8dd4d505f.jpg
    3313675-5d2a7af0d3cb030c793a67fdf22d812b.jpg