One piece bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shwabilly, Dec 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I did a search on here, and did'nt find anything.

This is probably a silly question, and I'm not a luthier, but does anyone make, or has anyone seen a one piece bass (or guitar), as in, body and neck cut and made together from one slab of wood?

I'm sure there would likely be some structural issues, but it was just something that popped in my head, and I'm curious if it's been done.

Thx.

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Maybe sonething steinbergish. But to answer the exact question , never seen it.

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    2960112OnePiece_unknown.jpg

Don't know anything about it, but it doesn't look entirely functional.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I believe this guy makes some.

PHILBACH

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    No. But Switch used to make one piece guitars from a synthetic wood.

335013.jpg

6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Wishbass, one piece?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The Leduc Pad is typically made of pieces taken from a single log, an interesting approach.
    pad5.jpg

As for a single piece, it appears that it's been done but I can't think of a single advantage to it.
    Piotrowski12string.jpg

8. Ritter has made at least one. There was a write-up in Bass Player Magazine, Feb 2010.

My cheesy device won't allow pasting a link, so Google "one piece Ritter bass".

9. Can be done, but usually pretty expensive. My Rob Allen Mouse 30 has a one piece ash body, but the body is pretty small.

10. Cool. Interesting stuff. I dont want one or anything, just have never seen one.

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    JPJ mentioned that his first bass was made from one plank of wood. (Or maybe he stated one board. Not sure.)

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    There was a guy in Luthiers Corner who made one recently, I'll see if I can find the thread. Pretty cool aesthetically, but tough to find a piece that big with no inherent flaws. I don't see any big advantage over neck through or bolt on, but interesting anyway.

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fritter-instruments.com%2Finstruments%2F2009%2F0916-4.png

Growlmonkee, Sartori and BioWeapon like this.
  14. Drucifer

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Using One Piece of Wood for Body and Neck

15. Drucifer

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    FS: Custom Les Paul 5 string. single piece for the entire bass jens ritter inspired

16. Yikes

17. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Not quite on point but former Santa Cruz Luthier Scott Walker (who makes some beautiful high end custom guitars for folks like Steve Kimock, Barry Sless and Neil Casal (of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood) and even a custom 5 string MandoCello for Michael Kang of String Cheese Incident just came up with a guitar series called the Katana.

"I spent 5 years setting necks and fitting dovetails while working at The Santa Cruz Guitar Company. This is where and when the idea of incorporating a Japanese style neck joint came to me. And 10 years later it has come to reality.

In the new Katana model there is also a few other ideas implemented.

• One piece solid body (Mahogany or Walnut)
    • One piece neck (Cocobolo or Paduk)
    • No truss rod
    • No glue or screws for neck attachment
    • No cavities
    • The neck is fretted, there is no fingerboard.
    This guitar is about as bare bones as it comes. The idea of the body and neck interacting together and the reaction between them are really highlighted here. Using old air dried woods, quarter sawn and stable really provides a strong resonant musical platform you won’t see or hear in any other guitar.

The arch top style bridge matches with the neck angle and geometry of the guitar, given the player plenty of real-estate to really dig in to the strings. This really gives the player an unconscious freedom and expression with the right hand.

The Damascus steel tailpiece and pick guard give it a solid, “tuning fork” musical quality that really is unique to this guitar.

Other specs:

18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I met a guy who had a one piece bass custom made for him by Bernardo Rico (BC Rich). Bernie made the bass and Alembic did the electronics. It was a stunning instrument. Also I believe that John Entwhistle's Buzzard basses were one piece (all carbon fiber).

lz4005 likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Gelvin Guitars does. It's called the Gelvin OPS. But he just does it for guitars AFAIK.

He also does something called the OGS where he bookmatched two halves from the same piece of wood and runs a single glue joint up the middle of the body and neck. So although there's a glue join, it's between the two single piece guitar/neck halves rather than between the body and the neck.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    LamarKafka likes this.
  20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Looks are about the only advantage I'd say. The downside is you need the body and neck to be some Wood suitable for a neck like say maple. the Ritter is all one piece flamed maple to solve the problem. A basswood neck just ain't gonna cut it. Someone mentioned Wishbasses. They COULD be made once piece but typically they are neck-though with wings glued on and neck one kind of wood and wings another. Interestingly SX now sells an "Andromeda" bass which is a two piece bass (note Ritter actually has an added fingerboard so is two piece) The SX has a one piece ash body and s one piece maple bolt-on neck. Solves the decent wood for neck problem. There is no fingerboard, just frets mounted right in the neck wood. Judging from the amount of whining over practical features of bass (truss rod adjustment etc) This one piece idea gives basically no change in tone with a big added pain if you need repairs etc.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021