1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One piece bridge vs. bridge & tailpiece

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by George Looney, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I was wondering what the advantages / disadvantages of a bridge with a seperate tailpiece (like on an Alembic or Warwick) are compared to a conventional one piece bridge. (Fender, Badass, ...)
    Are there any noticable differences in tone ?

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Wow! this is a though one IMO......

About bridges and tone in general, I wish I could tell you what are the differences.

You now have the choice of one piece, two pieces, individual and through body fixed bridges... Then comes the material: brass, aluminium, steel...

Every builder believes one bridge is better than another :D
    Just look here and you'll understand what I say:

http://www.mtdbass.com/definitions.html

Personnaly, I don't see any avantages of using a two piece bridge over a standard one. Maybe on some bass designs, it allows you to recess the tailpiece giving a greater break angle...

My actual preference goes to ABM individual bridges. Ther's a practical reason to that. I can order many pieces at a time and use them on 4,5 or 6 strings basses, regardless of string spacing!I think ther's now an headless version of those bridges...I'll try them soon.

We'll see if someone comes with another idea about the 2 piece design...

Peace, JP

3. I was hoping for more response, but I'll survive ... ;)

Thanks JP

BTW, your thread "A birth of a bass at JP Basses" is awesome, if there will ever be such a thing as the Talkbass Awards, you disserve one for best thread IMO.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks George! Not sure I diserve any award for it but I really appreciate the feedback I got from Tbers...
    This time consuming thread was worth it and I may end to do it again :D

Peace, JP