One piece bridge vs. bridge & tailpiece

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by George Looney, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I was wondering what the advantages / disadvantages of a bridge with a seperate tailpiece (like on an Alembic or Warwick) are compared to a conventional one piece bridge. (Fender, Badass, ...)
    Are there any noticable differences in tone ?
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Wow! this is a though one IMO......

About bridges and tone in general, I wish I could tell you what are the differences.

You now have the choice of one piece, two pieces, individual and through body fixed bridges... Then comes the material: brass, aluminium, steel...

Every builder believes one bridge is better than another :D
    Just look here and you'll understand what I say:

Personnaly, I don't see any avantages of using a two piece bridge over a standard one. Maybe on some bass designs, it allows you to recess the tailpiece giving a greater break angle...

My actual preference goes to ABM individual bridges. Ther's a practical reason to that. I can order many pieces at a time and use them on 4,5 or 6 strings basses, regardless of string spacing!I think ther's now an headless version of those bridges...I'll try them soon.

We'll see if someone comes with another idea about the 2 piece design...

Peace, JP
  3. I was hoping for more response, but I'll survive ... ;)

Thanks JP

BTW, your thread "A birth of a bass at JP Basses" is awesome, if there will ever be such a thing as the Talkbass Awards, you disserve one for best thread IMO.
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks George! Not sure I diserve any award for it but I really appreciate the feedback I got from Tbers...
    This time consuming thread was worth it and I may end to do it again :D

Peace, JP