1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One piece necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B String, Nov 5, 2013.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Any opinions on one piece necks? More stable? Less stable?
    Stronger? Less strong? No difference. Opinions?

2. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    I will tell you after a month when my new bass is ready. :D

3. One piece necks are just fine as long as good wood is used. One piece necks are just as strong as multi-lam but arguably less stable. I own and have owned basses with all kinds of neck configurations, some of my best necks are one piece. Flatsawn vs. quartersawn may make a bit of difference but isn't a deal breaker either way, MTD necks are one piece flatsawn and very strong.

It's good to be able to lay hands on a bass to evaluate for neck weirdness but a 1 piece neck if built well should last a lifetime.

4. Maybe some. I think there are a lot of variables that effect neck strength. Thickness of the neck is a factor, string tension is a factor, reinforcement rods are a factor, number of truss rods are a factor, humidity and temperate changes are a factor.

I've had some maple necks I've had issues with and others that stayed true very well. I've had wenge necks on 5 strings i had issues with but the wenge neck on my 7 hasnt moved in like 2 years.

The laminated neck on my warwick thumb nt5 was more stable then the bolt thumb i had. But the most stable neck of all the basses I've owned goes to my conklin. I'm sure the mass of the neck being a 7 string is part of it. It also is the only bass I've owned that has 2 truss rods.

5. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    I vote for laminated. I own only one but it is the most stable wood neck of any bass I have ever owned.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IME all the multi-lam bass necks I've owned have been more stable than single piece necks, even with graphite rods.