One pup or two (or more, I guess)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by all_your_bass, May 26, 2005.

1. One

4 vote(s)
  2. Two

13 vote(s)
  3. More than two because more pups equals more better

4 vote(s)
  1. all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    How many pups do you prefer, and why if you're feeling daring
  2. I've got dog and let me tell you one is plenty. 2 pups would be just crazy. Crazy I tell ya. :)
  3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, i would like a bass with four soapbars or Jazz pickups:

Nr. 1: VERY close to the brigde
    Nr. 2: Very close to Nr. 1
    Nr. 3: In the "sweet-spot"
    Nr. 4: Very close to the neck

I think it would be sweet! :)

4. I would say two usually but it really depends on the bass. I mean I'm dying to get my hands on a MM Sterling but it just seems wrong to me to get one of the new twin pickup models. Plus, it's got all that coil tapping stuff on it already, it might as well be 3 pickups!
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've heard one pup gives a more mid-like sound, but i'm not sure if that's true.

I think 1 pup looks cooler, but i'm always a sucker for 2 soapbars. :D
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    After being an one-MM-style pickup guy for ages I became a two-pickup guy (two soapbar pickup guy, actually) when I got my new bass. I love that woofy sound you can only get from a neck pickup.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Depends on the pup and what I want. To me, some pups work better alone for some things. Other pups need help and are pretty useless alone. Some pairs compliment each other and some pairs diminish each other.

The same pup in different locations will produce different tones, some desireable and some not. But, at the least, sampling from different parts of the string will definietly yield more variety. So it can be useful to have more than one pup and it's no suprise that, typically, a single pup is located roughly mid position.

Ideally, a pair of pups that function well as stand alones and compliment one another is hard to beat - even more so if they're 4 lead for optimal wiring combinations. A single pup that functions well alone is very appealing just for it's simplicity.

There are exceptions for more than two pups but personally I haven't found more than tow pups to be of any use to date. They get in the way of playing, create more pull on the strings, require more controls, decrease reliability, make it harder to touble shoot, junk up the control bay, and in general throw unecessary complexity into the mix. All you really need is two or three quality different sounds from a bass to play to most musical styles. You don't have all day to dink with a bunch of knobs and switches to get tone.
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, it's more a function of coil config and pickup location than number of pickups.
  9. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I voted 'more than two' because I reckon two magnetics and a piezo should just about cover everything. That's what the config on my new 5 banger looks like being.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Just one is fine with me :bassist:
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One is fine, musicman sterling, but i do prefer that it has the coil switching options.