One purchase three choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snowbro, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Greetings, ladies and gents!
    Here I am in Sardinia, enjoying a week of fresh air from the weary lifestyle of working in a polluted city such as Rome. "But Snowbro, what does this have to do with TalkBass?", you might ask.
    Good question! But let us not jump to conclusions; with patience, you will learn before you expect why everything is connected to this thread.
    You might also say: "Wait isn't this another scammy post where you basically ask for free advice? Will you never have enough sips from this pool of wisdom? DO YOU HAVE NO SHAME SNOWBRO?"
    Well... True, true and true, but would you really blame me? Would you blame Adam for desiring the knowledge of good and evil, and reaching for that forbidden fruit, not because it was right -for there was no right and wrong at the time- but because HE could?
    I am Adam and music is my Lilith; let us face it: to blame me and to blame the birth of humath itself is very much the same.
    Besides, were we not all little sinners at a time?
    Words being spoke, it is without further ado that I proceed to the nitty-gritty.

Given the lack of people, in Sardinia used hardware is generally cheaper, so it is here that I'd like to buy my second bass. The choices are plenty, and so are the doubts.

WARWICK CORVETTE ROCKBASS STANDARD - #5018029 - su Mercatino Musicale in Bassi Elettrici 4 corde

Rockbass Corvette for 350. Seems like a really really good deal, but the body is in alder. I have been told it's not a great wood.

JACKSON KELLY DAVID ELLEFSON SIGNATURE - #5055679 - su Mercatino Musicale in Bassi Elettrici 5/6/+ corde

This looks really good, aesthetically speaking. Plus it's 5-string (I am more of a 5-string oriented guy) but I am afraid the craftsmanship is not amazing for a 450 euros product. I feel like the Warwick would simply be much better in terms of quality, at a cheaper price.

CAREER RIK 400 (MODELLO RICKENBACKER) - #5187624 - su Mercatino Musicale in Bassi Elettrici 4 corde

This is a 300 euros Rickenbacker replica, but it's not a chickenbacker. It's made in Korea and I'm pretty sure it's much better.
    Aesthetically, it's just gorgeous, and the sound is similar to the original rik.
    It is the cheapest, and it'd be my go-to if I had to decide this instant.
    The body is in mahogany, the fretboard is in rosewood, the neck is in maple.

Me, I like funk, but I am still learning so everything goes, I just want a well-crafted, solid piece that won't be impossible so setup and won't give me any major issue. I know the 5-string with EMG pickups (jackson kelly) would be the most versatile, probably, but the price is a bit out of budgest so unless it really is a great deal which stands out from the others I'd be glad to drop that option.

Once again, I thank you all!

godofthunder59 likes this.
  2. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    I'm not a Jackson guy, but out of those three thats the one i would choose.... and their is nothing wrong with alder. If anything i would imagine most would argue it's better or preferred to the basswood the Jackson body is made of.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    "Alder is not a great wood." For a Warwick, which typically uses more exotic woods, I can understand this statement. However, it is one of two woods that are probably the most commonly used for bass and guitar bodies. In fact, it might be the most common body wood for Fender-style instruments, if not overall.

As for which bass, those three are very different, so personal preference is a strong factor. Were it me, I'd probably go with the RockBass. But, based on your post, I think you should trust your instincts and go for the Ric copy.

4. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I kind of want the Rickenfacker. :woot:

5. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Once again, I thank you all for your advice. The Rickenfacker seems to be the go-to, I'll see it tomorrow or the day after.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  6. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    One thing still perplexes me. If one had to consider body craftsmanship alone, aka neck, frets, body and everything concerning setup, which one of the three would be the winner?
    I am going to study a lot and the first thing I'll need is a solid, durable piece.

7. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    IT'S DONE
    From now on, I will be on a quest to get an original rick sound out of this. Or die trying!

Attached Files:

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If you like playing a 5 string get the Jackson, lots of bang for the $$$. Very well built bass.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Warwick.

10. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    Jackson. the axe of choose for late 80's early 90's rock and metal, a bit out of fashion at moment but great simplistic striking looking bass.