One rackspace poweramp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fat-bottom, May 13, 2001.

1. Can anyone suggest a small poweramp with a rating in excess of 200 watts into 8 ohms?
    T Jay
  2. Tough order. The only one I can think of off of the top of my head is a Carver. It's stereo, 2x100 watts. One rack space. this thing is so small...truly amazing. But i'm not sure how good it'd do for a bass guitar application. Probab;y at least decent. I've only used them as A horn/midrange amp in a big PA, and (hehe) at home in my stereo...
    It's unlikely you'll find much above 200 watts in one rack space...three is much more standard.
  3. Thanks Deman,
    I'm trying to avoid the weight and inconvenience of a Mackie 1400i or similiar.
    T Jay
  4. I can't think of any single rack space power amps that put out at least 200w@8 ohms (except the mentioned Carver) but the Rocktron Velocity power amp is a very light weight 2 rackspace power amp with the power you're seeking and sells new for about $600 out the door.
  5. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    If memory serves, Peavey was making a single space digital power amp a few years back. No idea if they still are. I believe I saw ads for it in Bass Player with Leland Sklar endorsing them. That was a while ago however. I think it even had quite a bit of juice.
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I believe that there was a Peavey ad out for that - something like the DPC-1000 or so. If I remember right, Bass Player did a review on it. Something like 1000 watts (class D amp) in a single rackspace. Kinda blew my mind away at the time.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Here ya go:

1400 watts into 4 ohms, one rack space, 15 lbs. Also, a link to the Bass Player review on the page.

Been thinkin' about getting myself one of these and a Peavey Max preamp. That'd be a killer setup, and easy on the back.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1400 watts in 1 rack space? I gots to get me one of these!

Seriously, that's no small feat. Not to mention if you got a nice pre-amp, you could have an Uber (how the heck do you do the umlauts over the u?) Setup, and in super minimal space. That's actually be kinda nice. Now I want one! Oh well, A Carvin RL810 systen will have to do!
  9. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Stewart World 1.2. Probably one of the best power amps for bass for the money.

One rack space and a 5 year warranty.

I love mine.

10. What does the Peavey sell for? Just curious.
  11. Personally, I'm looking into the newer digital one rack space power amps. They are available in ratings from 1,200 watts RMS to 2,400 watts RMS
    in one rack space! Very light weight. More power then the sane should be allowed to have.

Check out Bass Player Magazine's review of the Peavey DCP 1400X. One rack space. 1,400 watts. 15 pounds.
  12. Like what, and when (if) you tell me what, how much dough?
  13. The Peavey DPC 1400 as reviewed in the 10/00
    issue of BP lists at $1,400... a dollar a watt.

There are other, more powerful, small digital amps available in the UK & Europe. Peavey is the only one I know of in the US.
  14. Gammon

Jun 17, 2013
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Rocktron Velocity 300, good and cheap, but heavy. Works best bridged to 300w @ 8o, through a 4x10.
  15. dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Behringer (yes, I know) EPQ900 is 1U and gives 580W RMS bridged into 8 ohms. Weighs 10.8lbs.

I've been using one for the past few months without problems. Sound? It sounds like a power amp - what goes in comes out louder.
  16. synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    I went through several and I still have four Carver PM300s. They bridge into a 300W 8 ohm power amp. I have a Stewart and it is more watts but less stable, I just use it in the studio now after it cut out in a gigging situation a couple of times. They were very popular a few years ago, but they don't seem to be seen much now. I have an Amcron I still use a D75, it only bridges to 75W but feels way more than that. Had a Soundtech, the fans were noisy but it went to 800W 8 Ohms. For a while there was Powersoft that made 1U units that would go to 2000W...not sure where they are now - but I see their technology in a few amps, you will find a few lesser names, the companies that make second line PAs (no prejudice intended but they don't make top of the line gear for whatever reason) that make power amps similar to Powersoft, high wattage, 1U , very light, digital....for some reason they did not take the world by storm.
  17. How do you re-start discussiions on a 12 year old thread?
  18. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You dig up a ZOMBIE!