1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One reason not to Put CTS Pots in 53 MIJ reissue.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Red Planet, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Because it is a royal pain in the arse!

Did it today. Man what a Nightmare.

Slot not wide enuff.

Slot not long enuff.

Redrill Control Plate holes.

Took me forever.

Been wanting them pesky little cheap pots ouf my Bass for a while. I have to clean them way too often for some reason.

Now I have a brand new set of CTS Pots in there but I wouldnt do it again.

Word of caution out there for those thinking of it. If you can pay someone else to do the work, go that route.

Pics later.

2. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Do you mean the CIJ '51 P-bass? I've done 2 so far with my Dremel mototool and had no problems. I did the control plate first mounted the pots then used the controls/plate for fitting.

4. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    muzikman, I believe I've read (here on TB, of course!) that later-model CIJ '51s have a smaller route for the controls – maybe that's what Red Planet has (and you have an earlier one)?

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yep, good quality mini pots are the best fix. And you are right, it's a pain to drill out the holes. I've had the same experience on a different bass.

6. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    No they were current basses with the small control cavity, I used the sanding wheel to enlarge the cavity, if you take your time and are careful its easy. Here's one of the basses. 54P-Bass3.

7. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    bourns and claristat make good quality mini pots. sometimes have to wait for order of audio or log taper tho.