1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One song to Rule them all...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Insanity^2, Mar 7, 2008.

1. And in the darkness make me awesome. :eyebrow:

Could anyone please recommend a song that has a lot of useful technique in it (that varies, rather than tapping and harmonics on 7 the whole way through), is good for warming up (and doesn't sound as boring as playing the first four frets of each string) but preferably uses all your fingers, and all the strings.
    Slower is better, as I suck, thus the need for a 'perfect' song, but faster pieces are fine, as I'm open minded and need to train my speed :smug:

Basically, what I'm demanding :mad: Rawr
    Is a legendary song for learning to use different techniques, while warming up... that's not too difficult... but at a speed that'll help my speed :confused: or as close to those specs as is humanly possible :p

Cheers, Tony

Edit: Standard Tuning would be nice too :bag:

2. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    A bit fast, but Aeroplane by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is a good mix of fingerstyle, slap (mostly octave slapping), and sliding. The scaling at the end can be done in many ways up and down the neck.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Kiss" by Prince.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Baby Hold On - Eddie Money

5. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    go for the classical piecies, like bach's prelude in C minor, nevermind the fact that jeff berlin has done it, get the music sheet and play it S_L_O_W, and try to master it, first the bass clef part and then the treble part, it a fun thing to play plus once you'll be able to play it around 3 times without stopping it will make your left hand bleed, bad!

go for it

6. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    John the fisherman by Primus is an easy but awesome tune.

7. I've considered them, just haven't found anywhere to get them from, help? :)

And atm I'm still learning notation, takes a good second to recognise a note, then another 2 to find it on the fretboard, so there's no way I'm playing the treble part for now ;)

8. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    so don't do the treble part, but go for it, even if you can't read well... that's a practice after all

9. Where can I get myself some Bach? I'd pay but I don't own a credit card :(
    Checked the DB forums but there was nothing there :meh:

10. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Metropolis by DT ^_^ Or even better, their instrumedly! Linky

11. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    play everything you can
    those songs on your ipod, learn em
    the songs on your pc, learn em
    those video's you watch on youtube, learn em
    that meoldy in your head, learn it

you might wanna shortlist 3 songs one song for slap one for tapping and one for general finger exercise

12. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    or even better, the dance of eternity, because it has a bass solo:D

13. Right, I'll get started on all these easy Dream Theatre songs, maybe then I'll move onto rush...
    I was initially gonna type that as a sarcastic comment, but tbh DT at 50% speed would be helpful... I just hadn't found many 4-string songs :meh:

And to the poster before, thanks for the metropolis/instrumedly mentions, got tabs for both of them and there's plenty of 4-string... cheers :)

14. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    :eyebrow:I'd start with rush, then move onto dream theater.

15. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    I'd stay with rush and no DT

16. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    rush is usually no problem for me, but every time i try to play a dream theater song i end up crying myself to sleep that night...:bawl:

17. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    +1 on Bachs Prelude in C Minor.

FWIW...Stanley Clarke is quoted as saying if a Bass Player masters his work in the tune "School Days" you can consider them a real musician. Of course he means all the touch/timbre aspects as well. It does cover a ton of musical territory.

18. tswd

tswd

Jun 20, 2007