One Speaker Is Louder In My 212 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garret Wheeler, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    Hello! So earlier today I was playing my GK 700rb II through my dad's old USA Peavey 212. From the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties he used this cab in his massive tri-amped bass rig for hard rock/heavy metal stuff. The 212 was just for the high frequencies, and it isn't made to handle intense amounts of bottom end, so I eq'd my amp accordingly. Eventually I got a tone I could dig and I turned my amp up pretty loud and jammed by myself for around 30 minutes, meanwhile the cabinet showed no signs of struggling. When I was about to put my bass down I noticed a very faint "plastic" kind of smell. It wasn't overpowering like the smell of burning Legos (good memories from my childhood and all I have to compare it to :D), but it was enough for me to notice.

Anyway, I checked out the cabinet and I noticed that one speaker was slightly louder than the other. Both were still functioning and it could still get loud, but when standing directly in front of the cab there was a somewhat noticeable volume difference.

This cab saw countless of loud and long gigs back in the day, and it has definitely been well used. So far as I know, the speakers may have been like this since before I was born. So as far as anyone is concerned, this is just an old cab that's been sitting around unused in our garage for close to 20 years now, so any serious damage isn't really that serious.

Anyway, I'm assuming the smell is somehow connected to the volume difference, but what could cause these problems and is it something I should be concerned about? Thanks!

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Did it smell like burning green army men? That's pre-lego era :D

I'de open and measure the resistance and see if both are in the ballpark. It could be one cooked along the way and he replaced it with something not quite matching. Also if you can get to see the back, some of the numbers may tell the manufacturer and model of the drivers.

3. YAH HAA! Burning Green Army Men! (They were plastic, for you kids who never had them.)
    When you were bored with rolling a baseball into them and tired of "nuking" them with the basketball, it's time to take it outdoors and play flamethrower! A cigarette lighter usually did the trick. You could also melt a couple of them together and create Mutant Green Army Men.
    That's not weird. Is it's?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021