1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

one speaker output split?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Madro413, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Madro413

Madro413

Mar 22, 2013
    so I've done some looking around and got half of my questions answered. I have a GK backline 2:10 cab and a backline 1 15 cab. both R rated at 200 watts an 8 ohms. I also have a gk backline head at 125 Watts at 8 ohms. Can I use a speaker Y cable out of the 1 output of the head to the 2 cabs?

2. If you have the BL250 it is not rated to drive two 8 ohm cabs (total 4 ohm load). The 250 is only rated for a 8 ohm load.

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Does it have a 4 ohm rating.

Your 2, 8 ohm cabs in parallel would be a 4 ohm load.

You can put the 2 cabs in series, to get a 16 ohm load, but you'd loose output (wattage).

If your head does not have a 4 ohm rating---don't run your 2 cabs in parallel.

4. Madro413

Madro413

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank you so much. The guy at the music store said it would be fine. It's not rated at 4 ohms at all. And each cab only has 1 input also.

5. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I'm sure he knew what he was talking about.

6. That was joke right? :)

The BL250 is not designed for a 4 ohm load, if it could handle it 4 ohm minimum would be on the amp case. 8 ohm load only.

7. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I think this post is simply missing the "................." at the end...?

8. Madro413

Madro413

Mar 22, 2013
    Would I be able to safely hook up both cabs with a dual output 400w head or will it blow the speakers?

9. You can use two 8 ohm cabs with any amp that says 4 ohm or 2 ohm minimum load. Blowing the cabs will require power input from the amp head to the cabs and that is controllable by you.

10. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Running the amp BELOW its ohm rating will lead to letting the smoke out of the amp while the speakers laugh.