1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One Spot Line 6 adapter - center positive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
  2. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    No comments on this? I realize it's a bit of a n00b question but I couldn't find any specific information about it on the One Spot website.

3. odineye

odineye

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
    Yes, exactly. Those adaptors do a polarity switch to center positive to run a Line 6 modeling pedal.

Not sure if you're running anything else on the one spot or not, but the eventide is going to use up a large portion of the One Spot's output. Just something to keep in mind so you don't starve your pedals of power.

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks for the answer.

I'm picking it up as an all-purpose power supply. I now have three different stompboxes that rotate my single Boss PSA, depending on which one I'm using. They are all dirt pedals, so I don't think any of them take up that much. I think the Eventide only takes up 400-500 mA of the One Spot's 1700 mA, maybe more with peak, but I still should be fine.

I'm more worried about noise. I've heard that a One Spot can power an Eventide nicely, but using a polarity switch on any sort of daisy chain won't always play well with others. I can put some noise suppression after it, but I don't know if that will help.

Basically, I'm buying it to power the stompboxes. Having it as a backup PS for the Eventide is a bonus, and being able to power all of them at once would be incredible.

5. odineye

odineye

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
    Cool. I had brought it up because I thought the Eventide specs stated it could use 'up to' 1200ma. But, if you were using the PSA to power the rest of your pedals, then you should have plenty to power all of them with the One Spot.

As far as the reverse polarity hum issue. I read a paper a while back on ways to deal with ground looping problems on pedal boards (of course I can't find the link now) but I remember it was complicated enough that, for all the effort, going with an isolated PS seemed a far better way to go. Of course, a good noise suppressor can do the job just as well when applied right but... There's just one more pedal to power. :meh:

6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I think the Eventide wall wart is rated at up to 1200 mA. Of my other pedals, the Empress Multidrive at 110 mA is by far the most. So I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear in terms of current, it's the noise I'm worried about.

My noise suppressor is in my multi, so that may not be the best option. But I'll give it a try.

7. odineye

odineye

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
    Not sure what multi you're using, but I use the NS in my GT-10b for some patches and they do a great job. I think most noise gates will do just fine as long as one takes the time to tweak them and only use them when absolutely necessary. Does your multi give you the option to switch it's NS in and out without too much trouble?

8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Yeah, I have the GT-10B as well. I run my few other effects in the loop (Pitchfactor, synth, & dirt), so I could pretty easily set up the noise gates in any desired order and with the right on/off switching.

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I personally purchased this at a well known music store brand new. 2 months later the main power cord stopped working. Now I don't know if a lot of others have experienced this problem as well but I did. I thought the cord being so thick and rugged it would've held out a long time. I actually have an older one my guitarist gave to me that's much thinner and older and it's still kickin though. Good luck

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A noise suppressor is a terrible "solution" and not worth anything IMO. If a noise problem comes up, the solution is to solve the source of the noise, not mangle your signal in an attempt to cut the noise back out. If using an adapter on a daisy chain power supply causes a noise problem, then use a different power supply. :)