1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Spot noisy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigtexashonk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've heard that the One Spot power supply can add noise to the signal chain. Does anybody have any exprerince or knowledge with this?

2. I use one, but haven't noticed anything. It's the only power supply I've used though, so I can't compare, and I've never bothered trying using batteries with my pedals instead.

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The only time I ever noticed noise with my OneSpot was when using 3 daisy chains. When you have 15 pedals, with power and instrument cables running all over, through a bad amp like I was, there can be some noise.

4. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    From what i've heard, from four other guitarists that i work with, if you keep it to only using one or two daisy chain - 5-10 pedals i think - then you're usually fine. I hear people having problems when you have (like McHaven said) multiple chains.

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    one spot here running 3 pedals = zero noise

6. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I remember reading here that it adds a humming noise with certain pedals; couldn't remember which though. My experience with one-spot is satisfactory, but I believe there are some alternatives with really similar looks; but I also heard some of those do add noise.

7. It definitely adds a buzz when I hook it up to my VarioBoost. It's got to be the one spot because when I use just the battery - no buzz. FYI, the buzz is there even when the VarioBoost is the only pedal in the chain. I haven't tried it with my other boost pedals. I'll give it a shot and report back.

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I believe with Line6 pedals like the Echo Park, One Spot advertises you should use a special adapter to help decrease noise. I don't know what's different about those though...

9. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i've actually run into a different problem lately with my one-spot (got to come up with enough money to buy two Dunlop Bricks instead to replace it and an old brick-style supply that i've already got)

when turning too MANY of the pedals that are powered on... they all shut off.

i ended up having to remove one pedal from the chain for the time-being until i can find a better solution. and i think that i was running..8 pedals with it? (if i remember correctly)

[spunj13]

10. you probably don't have to buy two DC bricks. You should probably be able to use one and daisy chain off of one or more of its outputs, since each one is its own power source it should be the same as using a one spot to power only two or three pedals. I'm not certain, but you should try just using one before buying two.

11. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Just yesterday I took the one spot off my board and noticed less noise using separate wall warts for each pedal. I was using headphones and a Bassbuddy and I just got a ground wire fixed in my bass so I'm on a search and destroy mission for noise. I have read here that the one spot is not really "audio grade" equipment. I was wondering how something like a daisy chain off a tuner pedal would compare, noise wise.
    I have also noticed in the past that some pedals are more prone to noise when hooked up with a one spot, Zoom B2 and Compulator for instance as well as a Boss Micro BR.

12. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    If a pedal has non-existent / little power supply filtering, it's possible for that pedal to inject noise into other pedals that share the same power supply, no matter whether the power supply is a One-Spot or whatever.

13. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    My 1-spot is dead quiet with 5 pedals.

14. Up to 16 pedals on my one-spot, no noise. I think it makes a difference what type of pedals you're using - lots of high current-draw (digital or boost) pedals may make a difference. Most of mine are analog, with only 2 really high-draw pedals (BSW and Headrush).

Steve