Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One step down tuning. Anyone else like it??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassIsBest, Aug 4, 2000.

1. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey fellas. I like to keep my bass tuned down a whole step, you know, A-D-G-C-F. Does anyone else like to do that? It just sounds more bassy to me. And no, it's not cause Fieldy does it.

------------------
    There ain't no moral to this story at all, and anything I tell you very well could be a lie. I been away from the livin', I don't need to be forgiven, I'm just waitin for that cold, black, sun-cracked, numb inside, soul-of-mine to come alive - los Refreshments

[This message has been edited by BassIsBest (edited August 04, 2000).]

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Naah... B is plenty low for anything I need to do.

In fact, I had a gig for about a year with an acoustic folk-rock group who tuned down half a step. Detuning my fretless 6 would have messed up my persnickety setup so I just wrote out and played everything in flats. It was a fun mental exercise, and it kept my setup fixed for maximum "mwah" -- which was what they hired me for anyway.

3. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I always figured that there is standard tuning for a reason. So that you can pick up any bass and it plays the same. I like to keep it that way.....:)

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just curious, BassIsBest, do you use a 15-inch or 18-inch speaker and if not, how do you keep your sound on that low A-string clear?

I also wonder if you didn't find the low A-string pretty loose. Do you use a pick or do you fingerpick or slap with that low tuning? Also, have you had any trouble with fret buzzing on that the low A?

Last, if you had any problems, how did you overcome them?
    I like a really heavy sound too, but have found that it does present some challenges. Jason Oldsted

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    BassisBest,
    I like it alot! I "discovered" it for myself when I inadvertantly got some heavy-gauge strings that had to go on a fragile neck. I did the job with the tuned-down strings(quite the mind exercise) and I loved the rumble!

6. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I love tuning down too. I play mostly speed metal type stuff (ie old Metallica, Slipknot), and in order to get the sick sound i want, i tried tuning down. Low and behold, lower is better. I really love taking a 4 string and going down B-E-A-D!! that rumbles!

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a 4 string that I tuned to BEAD and I love it. I now see more companies offering basses with that tuning.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Down tuning is awesome! I'm gonna buy a 6 string bass later this year and I'm gonna down tune it a whole step as well (A-D-G-C-F-Bb). Can't wait for it! Now that we are talking about it, do you have some advice how I can practice scales / arpeggio's etc. to get used to the notes and sound?

9. For some music this is necessary to do. For funk and slapping, would be tough to play due to less tension on the strings.

10. Masashi is God

Masashi is God

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm guessing your drummer doesn't bother bringing his bass drum to rehearsals? Lol

11. I tune my 5 down a half-step (Bb standard.) Before that, I used DGCF tuning on 4-string for years. I really liked the feel and sound. La Bella makes a great string set built specifically for DGCF.

12. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    I tune my G3 down a half-step...
    because my concert A is flat.

13. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    Speaker size does not equate to low frequency ability - it is the design of the cab which determines the performance of a speaker.

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Very well said indeed! As long as you have an good amp, the rest shouldn't be such a big deal.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Standard for my band is 1/2 step down. Next week my guitar player is buying another guitar which I will set up for C. Then I'll set up one of my back-up basses for C.

16. I like down tuning but I feel to see how it's setup and repair related, especially after 12 years! :bag:

17. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    OH WOW, I just realized that.

...I was six years old when this thread started.

18. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I hate tuning down, I'll play in flats or sharps before I tune down!

19. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I hate you you make me feel old.

I was 10 when this thread started.

20. Bongokid

Bongokid

Sep 28, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I was 14 when this thread started.