Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one sticky to rule them all..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Feb 16, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey kids.
    i'm kinda toying around with the idea of putting a sticky atthe top of the amps forum with links to some of the more classic and useful threads that address common questions. such as the tb amps faq, maybe the ohms and eq thread i had some stuff in, maybe to a thread in misc about good hand trucks and options, a couple of the more informative tube amp threads, etc. this would be favorable to a half a dozen stickies.

i'm kind of hoping that this would let users look up common questions quickly, and offer an alternative to the search function which can occasionally prove daunting - :p
    not that i'm against new threads asking specific questions, but it might help.

any ideas on this? and, are there any threads that you think are link worthy for ez access?

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    That would be a good idea. Especially the Ohms questions are getting pretty common.

Maybe a thread showing how much air each cab setup pushes would be nice as well. I know I saw this in a BP a few years back somewhere.

Speakon vs. 1/4" would be nice as well

3. "How many watts do I need?"

I also agree with the "ohms" and tube vs solid state.

Mike

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    cool ideas..............better if you suggest specific threads.

or............the other option is we start brand new threads linked to the sticky that address each question and we all respond to them as if soemone had just asked "how many watts do i need" "10's vs 12's" etc..........i don't care. there are some great threads on a lot of these topics already. admittedly it will be hard to choose just a couple for each topic. plus i'm asking for suggestions as i don't want to eb in the position of seeming like a dictator by linking those threads which i like or which support my point of view. not to mention those in which i'm especially witty - :rolleyes: :p

so, i covet your thoughts

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The true wattage of Ampegs :p

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Fresh threads would be the easiest as long as you lay out the rules and delete useless posts.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmmm, i seem to have left my 10 foot pole somewhere...................oh yes, i think i dropped it the last time i was beating a dead horse. :p

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's a great idea! I'd definatly get use out of such a sticky.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Berhinger - why not to buy one; and

Beringer - user reviews (no mention of business ethics)

Problems solved! :D

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I think this is a really good idea. Too many times when someone is just trying to get opinions of what people think of an actual product, not the companies ethics, it becomes a mess.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I was planning on bugging you about that very thing. :cool:

A simple amp troubleshooting tutorial could be useful, is there a definitive existing thread on this? Also, the links section (http://www.talkbass.com/links/) ought to be updated to show every available amp and speaker manufacturer's contact info, since that should presumably be the first line of inquiry when someone has a problem with their gear. If you want help with either one of these, PM me, mmmkay ?

13. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    For my opinion, please read post #3 of the "Ohms" thread.

14. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    sounds great........but let's not discourage people from posting really lame easy obviouse questions all the time like me.....that's the fun of this place :hyper:

15. yea... going with the masses, maybe a pro-beringher, con-berigher and definetely an Avatar section. heck maybe ask dave if he'll wanna sponsor the forum so he could use it for his own feedback as well. that way HE can answer all the questions...

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Price guide would be a good idea. People can get new prices anywhere, but used is harder. Maybe something similar to PrePal, but focusing on bass equipment.

How about some kind of spreadsheet where a person could input the watts and musicians he is up against, and the "TBRP"!

TBRP = Talk Bass Recommended Power. :D

-Mike

17. Also something about pre/power amp vs. head...including major brands of power amps... seems like the search button is not BIG enough...

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    This could be a cool little Java applet! Have a little stick figure animation so you can drag & drop band members onto a 'stage'. Then drop your cabs into position and crank the 'watt' knob. When the stick figures' ears start bleeding you know you're at the correct wattage! :D