1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One string sounds very weak and chorused. P bass content.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive just put a new P pickup in my bass and while 3 strings sound fine, one is very weak and sounds chorused.
    I first heard it on the G string so i rotated that one half of the pup and now its the D string.

As far as i can tell its all wired correctly, there are no broken wires hanging gout of the pup and ive tapped all the pole pieces and they all sound about the same volume.

For now ive put the original pup back in but i would like to get to the bottom of this.

Anyone with any ideas? I cant really test it as i don't have a voltage meter or any testing equipment, and to be honest im going to send it back and get the company i brought it from to sort it out but as ive not come across this before i thought i would ask.

2. elzeder

elzeder

Mar 19, 2010
    europe
    Hey

Might be something with the magnets, do you have the polarity right, magnets the same way on both Pups? Sitting in the right position?

3. You would like to check the pickup height too .. if you're talking about the G or E string maybe that's the problem, raise the pickup height a little higher and see if You note any difference

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks guys.
    It was on the G string but after rotating that half of the pup the problem was with the D string so i dont think ive put it in wrong.

5. Mmhhh maybe You did ... Your pickups must be in this order ...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/basslines/501030-100.pdf

The whithe cable halk upper, the black wire half lower then check wich string is weak and get that part higher ... my bass has the center lower than the outter parts, so the pickups seem like a skate ramp

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    No really, its very, very week and hollow sounding. Its not just quiet.
    Ive put pups in before and never had this problem. Its not the wiring, its the pup itself.
    If i have wired the pup wrong i would expect the whole side to sound wrong, not just one string.
    To double check myself i pup the stock one back in and rotated each half to get all combinations and i couldn't replicate this.
    Thanks anyway.

7. Then its a bad pickup then :s

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, seems like it.
    Its been a nightmare today. I found out that the Squire pups are a tiny bit shorter than the standard Fender ones, so i had to file out the hole of the new pup. It took me ages, and then once it was all back together i find the pup isnt working properly:bawl:

Oh well, seems like your having better luck with your mods. If off out now to a gig but ill post a comment in your thread when i get home.

9. Damn ... I'm sorry :( we all have bad days thought :scowl:

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    fat chance, but change your string first! sometimes a bad string has the same symptoms. possible that the core is weakened somewhere and its causing that chorusing effect.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I thought that too, but he said he rotated the pickup and now the problem is on another string.

The chorusing is caused by the pickup being too close to the strings. It might be that one magnet is stronger than the rest.

How far is the pickup from the strings? Try lowering it.

Also if you have a compass, see if the magnets on that one coil are all the same polarity. They might have put one in up side down.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks guys.

First off its definitly not the strings. Ive just got back in form a gig and the bass sounded fine.
    Its also not the distance between string and pup as the other half of the pup is fine and its about the same distance, also it would affect both strings to a certain extent if i had it high enough to cause this problem.

I had thought about the magnets and i will check them later, thanks for that tip. Im not sure i can do anything about it though but it would be nice to know.

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, it seems that the only thing it could be is something wrong with the pup, which will have to be replaced.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im sending it back on monday, its no big deal and ill get a replacement the next day.

As it happens i gigged the bass with the stock Squier pup tonight and it sounded great so im happy to live with that until i get the replacement.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    wierd. it almost sounds like on that one pair of magnets that one of the two was put in upside down make them have opposite polarity on just that one string. believe it or not, but years ago, i worked on an all original 1964 strat that had that problem, and it was that one of the magnets was put in upside down from the factory. i was able to very carefully push it out without damaging the coil and reinstall it in the same direction as the others and it sounded perfect afterwards. i really lucked out on that one, but if it didn't work it out, to function properly, it would've had to have the magnet corrected and then rewound anyway .

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks John.
    The pickup in question is a bespoke pup and has been hand made so its quite possible that it is the magnets.

17. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    I'm pretty sure the magnets were put in backwards. I can't think of anything else that would do what you're describing.

You can repolarize the magnets with a strong (neodymium) magnet set. They're only a few dollars at K&J magnetics http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ or StewMac has them for a little more http://www.stewmac.com/. You don't need to take them out of the pickup.

bob

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks Bob but as the pup is new and it wont cost anything to get it replaced thats what im going to do.
    No point spending more money on it IMO.

In fact i just had a email from the pup maker saying they are winding me a new one and sending it out to me tomorrow, even before the old one get back to them.
    Great service.

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, thought about that a couple of years later, but pulling it out and reversing it worked at the time.

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just a quick update. I got the new pup today and an email from the company to let me know the faulty pup was indeed faulty.
    JohnK 10 and Bob, you were spot on, the pole pieces were in upside down. I've never come across this before but its nice to learn something new.

Thanks all for the help.