Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Thing I Always Liked About Eden...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 6, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Their preamps! At least the one in the WT400, the only Eden amp I've hung onto over the years (I still have a D115XL and D215XLT mainly because I can't find a local buyer). But I really like the sound of the 400 pre so I decided to use it in a higher powered rig for small clubs and restaurants. Why? Read on...

The EA iamp600 and the SWR Bass 750 neither one put out near enough watts into 8 ohms. The Mesa Boogie 400+ is sorta the wrong sound with the Bergie 210 which is very power hungry. One channel of my Stewart 2.1 (400 watts into 8 ohms) won't get the job done, either. Mono-bridged with the 2.1 is 1350 watts. A bit too much, I say. The Mackie 1400i (which I happened to have in the garage collecting dust in an unused rack) puts out a cool 1K watts into 8 ohms when mono-bridged. Voila! The solution was to pair it with the sweet sounding WT400 pre. The only downside is: this rack is pretty heavy. But it sure sounds good.

[​IMG]

2. What brand/model milk crates?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What are you talking about "milk crates?" That's the brand new, just released Auralex Gramma 2.

brad cook

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good farkin' lawdy!

that finish is to die for... ;)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats a killer lookin rig you got there.

Im actually workin to build something just like that this holiday season. Only a few small differences.

-Cab: D210XST 4 Ohms (already have)
    -Pre amp: WT-300 or WP-100 (To be aquired)
    -Pwr amp: QSC RMX 1450, Carvin DCM 1000, or Crown CE 1000 (To be aquired)
    -Tnr: Korg (To be aquired)
    -Pwr Cond.: Furman
    -Rack: SKB 6 or 8 space Roto Rack (To be aquired)

Biggest difference besides the cab is that instead of milk crates, I think Im gonna be stacking my cab on top of another 210XST as soon as I get enough cash for that.

Peace
    Nick

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just heard Aurelex is having big trouble!!!!

Hood is buying them out, and will continue letting you steal milk crates under the old name.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I don't steal milk crates. And what you see in that pic is NOT milk crates. More, I cannot say.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Having just last night bought another preamp (from a fellow TBer), the Eden will probably go back into the garage after this weekend when I get the Aguilar 659.

But, except for the weight, there's nothing wrong with this rig. My thinking is: if Phil Lesh uses a WT800 as a pre in that Meyer Sound live rig of his (he does), it's gotta sound good!

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    So does that mean the your Eden will be for sale?

I might just go with one of those instead of the other Pre's I mentioned if the price is right.

Peace
    Nick

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Hey, I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just screwing around. Sincerely, Bob

11. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm hoping this is the cutting edge of a new trend whereby one's amplification rack is larger than one's speaker enclosure.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ha, ha, no, bro. I ain't offended. I'm all for screwing around! ;)

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very likely. It's like new, too. Check with me after I install the Ag.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It just might be if you're using lil' Bergies!

15. love my Eden Navigator - less weight in the rack too.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i think i'll be holding onto my eden 400 myself.............
    only problem i ever had using one as a preamp is that you pretty much have to use the di out in order to use the tone controls as the unit doesnt have a true line out
    using the f/x send only gives you the pre, compressor, and enhance which is not too bad but the signal is very weak........seems to be optimized for stomp boxes........didnt drive a power amp well at all
    i am surprised that the 2.1 doesnt seem to cut it using one side into an 8ohm cab..........i just got mine and i could compete with my guitar players stack with just a bagend 15!

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey, what's up, Ivan? The very man who made me the righteous deal on the Ag pre!

One channel of the 2.1 only cranks 400 watts into 8 ohms. In my experience, that ain't anywhere near enough to really wake up that Bergie 210. I played the pictured rig last night, BTW, and it just KILLED! Really good with great headroom. The two guitar players were just stunned to hear all that outa such a small rig. Very cool. Yer right about the DI on the Eden, of course, That's exactly what I'm doing which is no prob with the Mackie since it has that balanced input. I've got the DI level set at 12 o'clock and everything's GOOD!

18. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I like the idea.......

[​IMG]

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall i wouldnt be too scared bridging my stewart 2.1 into 8 ohms............
    the key is discresion and paying careful attention to your drivers
    adjusting the "volume" control on the stewart should keep you from sending your speaker cones into the audience
    right you are boogie.........
    the eden preamp is quite cool althoug when i demo'd it against alembic and demeter it kinda lost
    the power section on the edens is definitely the weak link....400 watts into 4 ohms sounds cool but it aint no 400 watts into 30 hz
    i also kinda got sick of the low mid bump...........
    funny thing is i think the original 410t cab is probably the best one they make in terms of accurate sound
    i admit i havent heard an xst

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Word. I use a Demeter 201S with my Stewart 2.1 and it's still my favorite tone setup.

You're right about bridging the 2.1, especially into a power hungry Bergie. But I had that Mackie and really wanted to press it into service! :D