Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One thing I don't understand about Black Sabbath........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Sabbath is playing ozzfest, and I hear they are playing the "usual" set list. I think was 1996/97 when Sabbath did their first reunion tour. And they have done countless tours since then.

They have been touring on and off for about 10 years now and they don't have anything new or fresh to play. I remember when everyone made a big deal when they started playing "The Wizard" live, I don't know why, it's just a song.

They have so many good songs that they NEVER play live. I don't understand.

Aren't they getting bored playing the same set-lists over and over and over and over? Look at songs like Planet Caravan, wheels of Confusion, Hand of Doom, Under The Sun, Hole in the Sky, Megalamania, or any other song off their first 6 or so albums. They will never jam these out. Why don't they ever play these, did they forget how?

2. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Amen. From what I've read, the band does want to play other stuff, but Ozzy insists on playing the same old songs.

Here's the setlist from their first concert this year:

1. NIB
    2. After Forever
    3. War Pigs
    4. Dirty Women
    5. Fairies Wear Boots
    6. Symptom of the Universe / Sweet Leaf / Electric Funeral
    7. Iron Man
    8. Into the Void
    9. Black Sabbath
    10. The Wizard
    11. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath / Paranoid
    12. Sleeping Village / Children of the Grave

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    ^ See what I mean. That set is boring, and it will probably be played at EVERY show thoughout the tour.
    That set-list is almost identical to when I saw them in 97 and 2001.

As much as Sabbath rocks, I have no interest in seeing them live anymore because they are just going to play the same songs over and over. I would definitly be interested in hearing a bunch of their other stuff live though.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I wouldn't doubt it.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You have to take into account Ozzy's range/memory. I don't think he could sing Solitude to save his life. And Sabbath Bloody Sabbath's heavy part is a bit of a downer now.

And if Ozzy didn't scream and holler and demand attention... I'd imagine they could have some cool jams to theses songs.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Didn't Zakk Wylde have the same problem with Ozzy? Ozzy always wanted to play the same old songs but Wylde wanted to do lots of other good Ozzy tunes.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I wouldn'r be surprised. Ozzy is just sad now.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One thing I never understood about Sabbath is how A National Acrobat can have such a cool riff.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes! And they will never play that live for some reason!

10. Sabbra Caddabra live, now that would kill.