Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one thing i hate more than anything...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by slickhare, Apr 7, 2005.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    is a fake bassist. by this i mean a guitarist who thinks he is automatically a bassist by default. e.g. guitarist trying to make an extra buck teaching bass. now, i don't mean to say that it's wrong to play both guitar and bass, go right ahead. but what makes me angry is when people call themselves bassists but have absolutely no passion for the instrument and just play it "just 'cause...". e.g. "yeah i play bass, but i really play guitar"

2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    yeah that really bites

3. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    That's funny, people always ask me if I play guitar, and I always say, "Yeah I play guitar, but I really play bass." :cool:

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    not all guitarists just play bass because they can though. my teacher plays both, and guitar is his main instrument, but he still has a passion for bass, teaches it well, and plays it in bands. i think its fine to be able to teach 2 instruments, as i am currently working on drumming as well as bass.

5. Ben Kenney (guitarist from the Roots) has been doing an amazing job playing bass with Incubus. He is unquestionably much better than me at present, even though he is a guitarist. I'm sure many other examples exist. My first bass teacher was a hardcore metalhead guitarist. He was absolutely awesome on guitar, but not really the greatest bassist in the world. Fortunately, he recognized his shortcomings and sent me off to a real bass teacher after about six months. However, I did actually learn quite a bit from him. If not for being taught by this particular guitarist, I would probably play with a pick all the time. It was easier at the beginning...

6. Actually there are ppl who think that he isn'T ALL that good at bassplaying.

He may have the technics, but he has still to learn a little to hold back when playing live... what he did on the record was great though.

7. +1. Bring back Dirk! :bassist:

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would say that's because Mr,Kenny is a musician, guitarist, and now a bassist as well.

Everyone, don't get too hung up on the labels.

9. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Speaking of guitarists who think they can automatically play bass, today I phoned my rhythm guitarist / singer to organise band prac for tomorrow. So he starts telling me that he and the lead guitarist added something to an unfinished song of ours, and that he wrote a bassline for me! He knows s***-all about playing bass! 50 bucks says it sounds like a guitar part. So for the sake of keeping cool and not causing tension, I just said, "Yeah, I'll give it a shot." The chances of me using his bassline are about 1000000:1. It really pisses me off when guitarists think they can do everything a bassist can and more! :mad:

10. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Ever notice if your guitarist with no bass playing experience picks up your bass and plays, they still sound like a guitarist?

A mate of mine just couldnt understand me when i was telling him he was playing guitar on bass. The bass lines he wrote sounded like guitar parts, eg play as fast as you can in a minor pentatonic.

Matt

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yup, and after a few run-throughs with the band, his bassline will disappear and your's will take over. They won't even recognize the fact that you're not playing what they "composed" at all.

Plus the typical guitarist is simply elated to have space so they can self-indulge.

12. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I say the exact same thing! I started out on acousic guitar about 6 months before I found bass. I still play guitar a little, but bass is my passion!

13. Did Paul McCartney ever describe himself as a bass player? He was a guitarist who played bass because John couldn't or wouldn't and George was a better guitar player than he was. Turned out, he wasn't half bad!

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Ditto.

15. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Who cares... Can't we just all get along? :bassist:

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i started playing guitar and then switched to bass after a year or so. i love playing guitar, but the bass just called to me. it's been my main stay for almost 9 years.

though, i will always love palm mutting and playing fast, sloppy guitar.

17. Amen! And what do you do with the guitarist who actualy believes he knows what he's doing?!?!

18. I once met a guitarist on campus in my college years who asked me "Why do you play bass? You should learn guitar." A couple months later he asked me to play bass in his worship band. Idiot.

19. If you're talking about lead guitarist playing bass I will agree you can usually tell the difference. IMHO I think a bassist should learn to play rhythm guitar. (no lead). Almost all the songs we play are first written on guitar (or piano). Knowing how the natural feel of one chord to another feels gives you a major leg up on how the bass line should go. Plus on the rare ocassion that any of us ever get's lost in a song :) it's easy to look over at the guitar and get back on track.