1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One to amuse the real speaker builders here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UncleFluffy, Oct 24, 2009.

1. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    On Saturday mornings, I often wander into the workshop to play with interesting stuff while my fiancee sleeps in a little longer. Here's this morning's project...

A little while back I noticed these on clearance at Parts Express. Hmm ... interesting, and cheap enough to grab a few just to play with ... I wonder what I can do with them. Then I glanced over and saw a ream of printer paper on the shelf. So .. the project is:

What can I get out of a speaker the size of a ream of paper using these JVC TV drivers?

UPS dropped off the package last night, so I started out this morning. Fired up WinISD for the first time, read the instructions, then brutally hacked up some scrap particleboard I had lying around:

DSCN1371.

Here's a couple of the drivers in a rough clamshell arrangement. I didn't put them too tight against each other as there was a fair amount of magnetic interaction.

DSCN1373.

(Note the hot melt glue instead of nuts, as will become more and more apparent, this is an extremely quick hack for experimental purposes).

And now showing both the advanced construction of the isobaric chamber and the precision venting:

DSCN1379.

An end shot of the completed unit:

DSCN1382.

How does it sound? Well, not as bad as you'd think. Definitely capable of 40Hz up, but gets loud from 800Hz. Plugged it into one channel of my workshop amp (an old Onkyo M-501) and did a rough A/B against the speakers I usually use in there (a set of Wharfedale Diamond 7.2s, which aren't spectacular, but ain't crappy either). The hacked-together one was obviously inferior, but not as far as I thought.

As a test to see if I got the physics right, I call it a success, given that it was a rough hack between waking up and making breakfast.

Next step is to make a real case on a CNC router I have access to and do some real measurements. I suspect it'll be best as a powered speaker with built-in EQ.

This speaker building lark is a lot of fun :hyper:

2. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    Why not make a big line array out of them, for full-range use? That's what I usually see amateur speaker builders doing with cheapo drivers. It would have killer dispersion if you lined them up end-to-end.

3. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    How about 4 mid drivers in a Bass cab ??

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    I'm actually thinking of making the "production" version with four drivers. Same form factor (ream of paper) but the speakers will be along the long side and there will be a little stand so that they're vertically aligned. The extra air movement will give a bit more volume as well.

With a bit of tweaking this will make a nice micro bass practice cab. I've listened to the prototype a bit more, and it's lacking in top-end more than bottom, but the mids are very strong for the size.

5. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    That looks like a fun little project!

6. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I meant as a line array next to the 15s in a 2X15 cab ;)

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    They're only 10W each ... might not match up to the 2x15 too well.

Mind you ... hrm ...

I have a cheapo 2x15 that's 38" tall. So that's 9 of these, doubled up is 180W RMS .... call it 200 ... hmmm ... actually, that might be worth a try ...

Let me see how the micro one turns out first, though.