Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One tough puppy!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 22, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Poor guy...

Dog survives car injury, bullet to the head and freezer storage

A dog in California has survived being hit by a car, being shot in the head and being stuck in a freezer for two hours - all in the one day.

Dosha was first hit by a car in Clearlake and then shot by a police officer who was trying to put the animal out of its misery.

The dog was presumed dead and taken to an Animal Control centre, where she was put in a freezer.

However, a few hours later an official went to the freezer and found Dosha alive - but cold.

Animal groups have begun raising money to pay for her care.

© Associated Press

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_773079.html?menu=news.quirkies

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Poor dog! :(

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    now that's having a will to live!:)

4. that poor baby. there is a reason that poor baby survived. wow. :( makes me sad how long he has survived in such pain. damn

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That's awful.
    But that's gonna be one pissed off carnivore

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or maybe just not knowing when to die!

brad cook

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

ummm...how can you shoot sumthing (im assuming it was still, and probably a point blank shot) in the head, and not be sure its dead?

bp13

8. Its possible to survive a headshot, even at pointblank range. One of the Columbine victims was shot point blank in the head and survived. The bullet could have not gone past the skull but rather ran along it to the other side of its head. Thats just my thought tho, could be a different story.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Sometimes getting shot at a closer range can cause less damage than getting shot from a longer range. The military's M4 is less effective at extremely close ranges because the velocity of the bullet is so high that the bullet shatters on impact instead of penetrating, or something like that.

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah but its a dog...there was prolly not much room in its head to get shot and not die...

it was prolly a 9mm...so aren't they used for close range shots?

bp13

11. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Not really. The Colt M4 uses the .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) cartridge. It actually does not pentrate very deep, even at close ranges. The bullet was chosen because it fragments into pieces, and wounds the enemy instead of killing. This would cause the opposition to lose another soldier or two as they are needed to carry the wounded out of harm's way.

It was most likely shot by a 9mm, although some PDs use .40 S&Ws or .45ACPs. All I gotta say is, that dog is incredibly lucky. 9mm is generally a close range round, but has a farther range then a .40 or .45 and tends not to dump all its energy, therefore causing more penetration then say, a .40.

12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    thats what i thought

bp13

13. The dog must think its a cat.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Just....damn.

15. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That's a well trained cop, can't kill a dog with a point blank head shot.

16. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    makes ya wonder sumtimes...

bp13

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is so off-topic but anyway... With the M4, M16 and CAR-15 (used mostly by special forces) it completely depends on the round used. Some soldiers in the US Military are equipped with the "geen-tips." It's a regular .223 round except with a tungsten carbide penetrator on the tip. These things will shoot through body armor and metals and will pass clean through people with zero fragmentation. Not exactly popular with many soldiers for that very reason. The regular .223 rounds fragment just like any other comparatively sized rifle round but that can also vary greatly depending on distance, clothing, and other factors such as jacketing, slug weight and manufacturer.

As far as a .223 bullet shattering on impact instead of penetrating - having shot many things with a .223 at many different ranges I'd say that's hogwash unless we're talking about body armor.

As far as whether or not the cop used a 9mm...that's absolute speculation. There are several calibers that are commonly used by US cops, the most common being 9mm, .38, .40 S&W and .45. Yeah 9mm is popular but it's definitely not a given...especially after so many law enforcement officers traded in their 9mm's following the infamous 1986 FBI/Florida shootout incident.

Now I feel like a geek.

brad cook

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Not a geek, but a geek armed with knowledge.

Really though, thats some pretty cool knowledge.

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Forgot to mention i got that info from some show on the history channel. Could be right, could be wrong, I wouldn't know. Either way it's second hand information, so take it as that.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool man...nothing against you. Maybe it was some early .223 round that had this problem. I can tell you though that I've seen your average jacketed .223 rounds take down massive feral boar hogs at as close as 10 yards and as far away as 50 yards. For anyone that's familiar with the introduced species of feral hogs found in Central Texas, you know that something that can penetrate THAT extremely tough hide (often reincorced with dried mud up to an inch thick and covering a layer of fat that can be several inches thick) is not going to shatter on a human.

brad cook