Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Trick Pony

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nanook, Oct 9, 2002.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I've about had it with the guitar, bass & drummer Rock bands. Even the few that have a second guitar are pretty lame. Near as I can tell, every tune sounds the same. The novelty of it has worn off, I want more.

I long for the variety that use to be so common in Classic bands with keyboards and horns inaddition to the stringed instruments. The music ebbed and flowed, it had character and depth.

No doubt in my mind, Rock is dead.

Hit me with your best shot. I can take it.

2. I agree. If I can ever find a practice space, I'll be jamming with a guy who spins tables. I'll whip up some drum beats and stuff with Fruity Loops, and maybe have a guitarist or two.

We'd like to have a psuedo "Sublime" style.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ironically I formed and run a 2 guitar, bass and drums band to counteract the keyboard led band I play in which normally consists of singer keyboard player, another keyboard player, guitar bass drums percussion flute 2-3 backing singers and sometimes a brass section or another percussionist.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Keyboards are definitely an asset, IMO, because;

- they smooth out the contrast between drums/bass/guitars
    - the better keyboards today can make so many "un-keyboardlike" sounds
    - keyboardists typically have good musical training, IME.

One of my bands has a synthesist and those sounds are really cool as long as they're not overdone.

Brass is nice.........as long as they aren't getting paid as much as the musicians who must play on every song in it's entirety.......plus brass players tend to dress the dorkiest for gigs, IME.

6. I was thinking about this the other day. While I like the newer music from groups like Trane, Creed, Five for Fighting, et al, most of the songs are beginning to sound the same. It doesn't help that FM radio platys the same playlists ad nauseum.

If I have to hear "How You Remind Me" one more time (while a nice song), I'm going to take a hostage. Move on. Somebody add some brass.

Just my take.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unless I'm getting paid a flat rate to play, I won't play in a band with more than 4 pieces. Less peices = more money. Unless, of course, as I said earlier, I'm getting a flat rate.

And if the singer doesn't play an instrument, he/she better have lots of stage presence and be a helluva vocalist.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    We have a 6 piece band and we divide the money equally with an equal share going to "the band fund". It paid for some new monitors and studio time for our new demo. None of us are doing this for the money,since there isn't any. Nobody in the band needs gig money to pay bills or anything like that.The most we've ever gotten for a gig is $600.00. Like I said there isn't any money
    [​IMG]

9. Hey, if rock is dead, go ring Mr. Jazz or Mr. Blues doorbell. They'll come out and play, and I feel they have much more to offer. I also think that one's musical tastes change as we all get older, and that ain't a bad thing. ;)

Mike J.

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Interesting nanook. I have been thinking about putting together something different for a while now that doesn't include a guitar:

Drums
    Bass
    Keys
    Percussion
    Scratcher
    Electric Violin(or fiddle if you please)
    Sax/flute

There would be vocals provided by some of the members, too. We would do my originals and a very few cool covers, sort of in a jam/groove band setting. Lots of mouths to feed, but it would be fun. Whaddya think?
    :cool:

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm starting a duo project with a stick player - don't know if it's gonna yield any listenable results, but this guy is great - his name is Michael Gosh, he used to play at Musikmesse doing covers with stick and vocals and has at least one record out. I'm really excited :)

12. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN

Word. Just added a keyboardist to our group for "Oye Como Va," and it makes all the difference.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    While I'm all for the use of other instuments for rock (we go nuts with a kazoo in my band), I'm still not under the opinion that rock, or the guitar-which often comes under more scrutiny-is dead. I still listen to different band and get a huge amount of enjoyment from them, and I doubt that'll stop anytime soon.

I think a lot of it has to do with the musicians making the music. I try to keep an ear out for bands out of the spotlight, because they don't have to appeal to the masses and therefore can keep themselves open and inventive. Even some more well-known indie rock acts like Sleater-Kinney keep me interested with every new album.

14. keyboards/piano are making a big comeback in rock, so it seems like a strange time to complain about a lack of them. this thread would have been more appropriate circa 1996 or something. check out:

spoon
    ben kweller
    the dismemberment plan
    hot hot heat
    the white stripes (sometimes)
    the latest weezer demos
    the flaming lips
    wilco

i could go on...

15. Amen.

[shameless plugs]
    Lineups for my bands:

Peanut Butter Mosquitos:
    guitar, bass, drums, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones

Extra Large:
    keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, trumpet, sax

Both are rock bands; PBM tends a little more toward the punk/ska side (though not too far in that direction), XL a little more toward jazz/jam/quirky (again, not too far though). I just wish i had some clips or something so this plug would be worthwhile... Anybody in Ann Arbor/Ypsi should come see PBM at the Wooden Nickel tomorrow night (Thursday)! :D
    [/shameless plugs]

In any case, rock isn't dead yet; there's still a few of us twitching :)... Hell, I don't even have a problem with the guitar/bass/drums lineup, I just have a problem when the band sucks (which is admittedly a rampant problem on the radio). If only it were 1994 again...

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I am all about the big band sound.. We just added a pianist to my band. Well he plays keyboard in the band.. and he knows his stuff on that.. but this kid is a nasty jazz pianist.. its my ultimate dream to have a a tenor sax, a trombone, and a trumpet player.. we are already at 6 people with 2 lead singers, a guitarist, drummer, keyboard guy, and me... but its alot of fun.. and different

17. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Rock isn't dead...it just smells funny.

Seriously, if you think that all three piece rock bands (bass, drums, guitar ) sound the same, you're obviously listening to waaaaaay too much radio.

I personally find the three piece rock format to be very challenging to work in. I've been toying with the idea of assembling a band of good players to cover material that a three piece has NO BUSINESS covering. It's an opportunity to "think outside the box" (grrrrr....hate that phrase) as to what your role in the song should be.

If you haven't already, give ALL's first three albums a listen ( All, Allroys revenge, Allroy saves.) Pretty good s#!t by a bunch of punks who used to be the Descendants!

Some of the best jazz in the world is done three piece, I don't see why rock cannot produce just as stellar results.