1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Twelve with Two Tens???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Sep 26, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I am playing through a GK700RBII NEO Twelve combo. Great combo. I want to add a speaker cab to it for larger gigs and am thinking hard about a GK 2-10 NEO cab to maximize portability. Anyone out there playing with such a setup? Is it better to just get a second 12 cab? Opinions from anyone running the 1-12 and 2-10 setup would be appreciated?

2. 1x12 2x10 would prolly sound better then 2x12 imho

but try both and see for your self

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And, I'd think 2 12's would sound better than 112/210's. You really need to play first, before you buy.

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It is hard to find a place that has a GK NEO 210 and 1-12 in stock to try.

5. you know Ricken how bout 2x10 and a 2x12 ?

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would pair up the two 1x12's. I've heard that setup with the GK neo cab's. It would be totally workable for me. (That setup was Lorenzo Farrel of The Nightcat's. Driven with a 1001 RB II. P-Bass & URB. Funky blues quartet setting. Small club and also on a large stage. I'm kind of a fan... Like I said - it would work for me.)

Adding the 2x10 might provide more volume but ... I'm thinking that it might not sound as good to me. ... then there is the question of how loud is loud enough ?

for a toneal perspective, the 1x12 & 2x10 setup is going to be a little uneven... it might be uneven in a good way, or not... one of those things you just have to try and see. The 2 x 1x12's are going to sound a lot like the 1x12 but louder, maybe a little low end reinforcement.

7. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Using two different cabs is always a gamble. It can work, or it can't. On the other hand, doubling up with one type of cab won't get you a worse result than one cab by itself.

8. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Hello the first thing is to check the imp. of the combo you can probaly hook up 1-8 ohm cabinet to your combo so make sure you don't go any lower than 4 ohm's on that head it will fry, i would try a 8 ohm 15 for a little more wind.

9. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've tried a combo with a single 12 and two 10's....I didn't like it. I greatly prefer keeping speaker sizes (and count) the same when running multiple cabs. However, as has been suggested...see what works best for you and run with it.

10. I was using a 112 with a 210 cab both the same brand. I did not like it at all. Each cab sounds incredible by itself.
    I can't put it to words but the tone just did not seem to "open up" for lack of a better description.
    I tried another 112 (of different brand) and it sounds so much better.

11. I would also second another 12.