1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"one-two-three-four-five, six-seven-eight-nine-ten, e-le-ven twelve..."

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, May 11, 2006.

1. Man that was some funky playing on that little tune with the pinball imagery. Very funky bass line. Does Sesame Street have a 'Best Of' CD with these funky treasures from my childhood?

2. You can find a lot of them on file sharing networks, but I am unaware of a compilation. My band plays old School House Rock and Sesame Street songs intertwined with classic rock and such. I too would like to have a comp. of all that stuff.

3. haha that'd be awesome. Whose idea was it? How did you arrange it with the classic rock? Do you have soundclips?

I'm not really familiar with School House Rock. I only know about Sesame St. The other thing I used to watch was the Electric Company but it's been so long I only have very vague memories of it.

4. Well, we do the Sesame Street theme song and the "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" song from Sesame Street... Ab-ka-def-key-jekl-menop-kwer-stuv-wickzys. lol

We also do "Three is a Magic Number" from school house rock. (suggest you try and download this, it is a very cool song)

Basically we just sit down and figure the parts out... one guitarist will play the piano lines, the other will do rythm and I just play the bass lines. They are fun, it takes everyone back to "the good ole' days" them we melt your face off with "Cult of Personality" or something lol.

5. It was everyones idea, we grew up on that stuff. It was really the first exposure that we had to certain styles of music. For example, Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood was the first jazz I ever heard and Sesame Street was the first funk I ever heard. We are kind of paying homage to PBS and Saturday morning cartoons.

As far as arranging it with classic rock (I think I am answering your question here), we slip it in at appropriate times. We do other themes songs as well (Magnum P.I., G.I. Joe, Knight Rider, Kids in the Hall (Shadowy Men From a Shadowy Planet) and King of the Hill among others) so it fits. It lightens the mood just enough to drop a bomb like "Detroit Rock City" or "Mr. Brownstone". LOL.

I will have sound clips eventually. I will let you know when I do!

6. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    searched the internet but to no avail! does anybody have tabs for this?

7. Dude, I don't think anyone with ability to figure out and actually play the bass line from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10....11,12 would actually spend the time to tab it out. My band wanted to play it, and when I listened to it for the first time since I was little, I just about fell over. That has to be one of the most complex and funky bass lines ever.

8. There is a Schoolhouse Rock CD out there where Blind Melon does a cover of "Three is a Magic Number" and it rips. Highly suggested.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The track is called 'Pinball Number Count' and has never been released on any Sesame Street compilation CD.

Two years ago, British dance label Ninja Tune put out 'Pinball Number Count' backed with two mixes of 'C is for Cookie' on limited edition vinyl (I've got mine!).

You can hear the tracks here: http://www.ninjatune.net/ninja/release.php?id=763

The video for 'Pinball Number Count' is on Youtube:

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    "T I O N!"

"tion, tion, tion, tioooooooooooon!"

11. Blind Melon's version is very cool but I prefer the original.

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That electric piano + percussion + the overall vibe reeks of Miles' Bitches Brew era. Very cool.

14. The original, not as disjointed. Sick groove!

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
  16. My old band used to do Pinball Number Count - one of my favourite jams!

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    sick sick sick groove, back to the shed.

18. WOW!!! Just watched th eYoutube VIdeo. Have not heard this in a while. That Groove would make Jamerson Blush. :)

19. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I still break out:

"We all live in a Capital I, in the middle of the desert, in the center of the sky.

and all day long we polish on that I, till it brightens up the desert and lightens up the sky"