one volume knob?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by braun-jovi, Apr 27, 2004.

1. braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    This may be a really goofy question, but on old amps with one volume knob is the master always on ten and you are adding pre-amp gain or are you turning up both pre and post gain at the same time? sorry in advance if i'm showing my tail end.
  2. Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    You can do it either way. With the master all the way up, you may notice more preamp hiss in recording situations, and you'd be using the preamp gain to control the overall volume. But, your preamp colors the sound a lot and running it very low or very high will alter the characteristic tone.

On the other hand, if you use the master as your overall volume control, the characteristics of your tone will remain more uniform regardless of the volume. You may not get maximum volume, however, unless the preamp gain is set fairly high.

You will need to experiment with the sound a variety of ways in different situations to map out your favorite settings. A combination of the two knobs is basically what you'll have to work out.

I'm sure there are others that could give you better advice, but that's my take on it in general.

What model amp do you use?
  3. It would be the equivalent of having the Master Volume or Post Gain turned all the way up and then using the PreGain to set your volume. This results in maximum clean signal output from the amp, but it doesn't maximize signal-to-noise ratio.

4. braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    Thanks for the replies. Arranger, I actually use an Ampeg V-4BH so it's sort of moot for my amp. I was more interested in finding out how older amps like the Sunn 2000s or the old Fender Bassmans worked with one volume knob. From what Throbbinut says it's like having the master all the way up. Again, thank you both for your replies.