1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One wad of cash later, I became a Warwick owner! Strap and case advice anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rattanee, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Lookattit! :D

2006 Thumb 6 BO Broad neck. It was a showroom piece in the local Warwick dealership, and was hauled to exhibitions, so it does have some signs of use, but I think I got a good deal including 2 years warranty like brand new! :) My wallet feels lighter though... a moment of silence for the wad of cash spent..

Anyways! :D I want to get a decent strap and a definitely a flightcase for the beast. Soooo... anyone has any ideas for a fitting strap (preferrably on the wider side that still looks good and goes with the natural colour of the wood)?

Also, does anyone know if the 'cheaper' Warwick cases accomodate a neck of this sizable girth? I am thinking about these two:
    WARWICK RockCase Flight Case - Electric Bass, black
    or
    WARWICK RockCase Standard Hardshell Case - Bass Guitar, black Tolex
    I have decent offers for both those cases, the alu frame one for about $90 never used, or the black one used (looks okay outside, the bottom of the inlay is partially delaminated though) for about $50.

Cheers!

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    dbsfgyd1 and Rattanee like this.
  3. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Yah it's definitely a few lbs heavier than my Ibanez RD707II, but I don't really mind.
    "We lost a lotta wood to that one." - I believe that was what the guy at the dealers said :D

Thanks for the tip, I actually like that strap, I just wish it came with a textile underside. The touch of velour suede freaks me out for god only knows what reason. I get goosebumps all over :D I'll scroll through that site and see what else there is. Nice to see variety over the hoardes of simple black straps everyone local stocks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Mine are suede underneath...unless I posted the wrong one...

I did buy one that has regular brown leather on the underside and not Suede. It is slippery so I use it with my neck-heavy bass so it doesn’t tug my shirt down...

Exactly like this one:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/El-Dorado/Durango-Suave-Leather-Strap-Black-Tan.gc

But I didn’t pay $95 for it...I’m pretty sure it is a Perri’s for $20...unless I got lucky and they marked it wrong....!!!

5. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Nope you posted the correct one, I mis-wrote, meant to say suede. Sorry not a native english speaker here and I've a few words that are 'locked in' incorrectly :D

6. I play a Warwick thumb NT6.
    611EE7EB-DA2F-4536-8815-EF09C80DCBFA.
    Got tired of dealing with heavy plywood cases paired with heavier basses so I use the new SKB tsa style case for mine. It’s super light and not too expensive. I think I paid $90 for it New off eBay. But yeah I’d stay away from anything plywood unless you’re going to be doing heavy touring.
    2DC57FFB-FDEA-4B9D-B1F9-39E539118B9F. Thumb basses having a small body and small upper horn do tend to have some neck dive. It’s definetly not as bad as some basses I’ve had for example the esp viper I used to own and it is manageable. The best way to deal with this is getting a quality strap. I use the wide Levi’s straps. They are pricey but I’ve bought three over the last decade or so and they hold up really well. I also taped my metal wireless pack (shure glxd system) to my strap as far to the right as possible without it being so low it touches the bass. Neck dive fixed
    6A7D37AD-9F47-4A6F-8950-DAAD12B8C571. Same deal with the 5 string
    CF1B79D7-C570-4614-A4C9-676B45EE4674. Another thing to know. Warwick thumb basses typically come with Warwick strap locks. The strap buttons on them won’t hold a strap well without strap locks. Their strap lock design also works with a few strap lock systems but I can’t remember which ones do work and which ones don’t.

Last thing, don’t forget the string spacing is adjustable on Warwick bridges. If you find the broadneck feels too wide it can be adjusted some.

Dec1975 and Rattanee like this.
  7. Congratulations on the new bass. Be mindful of the stress that these babies can put on your wrists and hands. I had a broad neck 5 string Thumb a few years ago and it required clean left hand technique at all times, or hand fatigue would set in. Take it easy!

five7 and Rattanee like this.
  8. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Did you need to look for a specific dimension, or did the standard off-the-shelf case fit fine? I ordered online for my Ibanez a while back, and I ended up having to tear out and re-do the neck support padding, because it held the head of the bass so high it was straining against the lid when trying to close it.

Cool idea with the wireless pack, though I will have to rely on a solid strap as I'm sticking with cables for the time being.

As for the string spacing, I -might- try narrowing it just a hair as it is definitely wider than my 4 string, but only if it becomes a problem. So far I've played just a wee bit on it, and for simple fingering I got used to it pretty fast.

It's definitely going to take some time getting used to (yeah it's indeed a little wider than I expected), however the broad string spacing is just incomparably better to play for my right hand. With the narrow spacings I kept touching whatever I didn't want hence I stuck with 4 strings for a very long time despite the lure of going deeper :)

9. The thumb bass body is actually smaller than most basses so the body should fit most cases, mine looks like it’s made to fit J or P basses and there’s some room to spare but my bass doesn’t move around. As for the case maybe being too deep and the body hanging by the neck when when in the case, The body is pretty thick and they are contoured front and back so I doubt that’ll be an issue. As long as the case doesn’t have like a blocked out part around the neck keeping the big neck from fitting it should be fine. If you get a case and it’s moving around a little you can always add a little more padding or even a towel rolled up.

The broadneck 5 is a monster neck. It’s very much like the string spacing on the bigger p bass necks. My advice is don’t try to play it hanging too low, if you get the bass up higher to where only you’re thumb on your left hand is behind the neck (instead of palming the neck like a lot of 4 string players do) you should be just fine with the big neck.

10. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Yah I had the moving-around problem with my Ibanez, I ended up using an old rolled up Iron Maiden shirt for support inside the case... it felt fitting.

As for technique, support with the thumb is pretty much my playstyle in the first place, so I should be good there, but I definitely need to get used to just how wide the neck is. I usually try to find a balance between 'balls-low' and 'nerd-necking'. TBH I play how it feels more comfortable over what looks cool. You can screw looking cool if all you can do is bang E through an entire set.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  11. I wear mine at height where it’s high enough for my left hand but not so high that it screw up the mechanics of my right hand. Feels good. Doesn’t look too “nu metal” or “music major” imo lol

12. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I had an extra waist strap on my 90 thumb 5 which worked great with the neck dive.

13. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sweet bass, Congrats!!

14. Scotts bass lessons strap, super high quality high end leather. In my opinion wsy more comfy than the wide Lee's straps.

It literally disperses weight better than even wider straps I've had. It costs only about 125 dollars and in my opinion is made on part quality wise to a strap twice it's price. The neck dive stopped completely whereas on the levy's I still had about a 20 to 25 percent neck dive.

Sign up for scotts newsletters and you'll get a notice of when he pits one up for sale. Grab one while you can. As a reference my guitar player has felt the 13 lb. Monstrosity that my thumb nt 6 is on all the different straps I had. He said wearing the scotts strap it is like a completely new bass that is super manageable and the neck dive is completely gone. He was so impressed he had me buy the limited edition black strap for his guitar which as a result feels like air now lol

15. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    The best strap I've found yet for heavy instruments (like my '74 Jazz) is the Levys MSS2-4 - it's 4.5 padded inches of glorious weight distribution. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be playing that '74 Jazz anymore if I hadn't bought it!

Strung_Low and Manticore like this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I've tried 3" and 4" ( Italia) straps, and find they are so wide they actually dig into my NECK ( YMMV!)
    I've settled on 2.7" Leathergrafts ( they make a nice padded model...) and even some 2 inch straps for lighter instruments.

17. Funkabilly

Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    I love my Mono M80. I feel like it protects almost as good as the case, some argue better, and holds a lot of stuff. Its definitely easier to load in. Although I do have 2 Thumbs in a Dual Mono M80, I dont suggest it. Its heavy! I do suggest strap locks. Bothe my Thumbs came with recessed locks, I assume they still come that way. As far as straps go, Im wanting to try the Mono strap. I think its $50, and it has good reviews.

18. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Strap. Gruv gear
    Case. Mono

ObsessiveArcher and Mechanical like this.
  19. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    Try the comfort strap not cheap but would be good for a heavy bass, I use the Warwick rock case for my Corvette it does the job.
    comfortstrapp.com

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  20. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Thanks for the tips guys, I got to try our guitarist's 4" wide strap today, and that taught me I'll stick to around 3 inch wide straps. I agree that wider digs into your neck (at least it does for me).

As for the case, I'll see if there's a store nearby that carries the Mono cases, though to be honest I'll probably stick to an ABS or plywood hard case, they just seem more solid. I'm a service tech for injection moulding machines so lifting heavy stuff's a daily thing for me anyways :)