One with flats one with rounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Jul 20, 2021.

1. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Is this set up reserved mostly for Precision style basses.
    Any players here that have one bass with flats and another with rounds on the same kind bass?

Like 2 Jazz basses
    2 Stingrays
    2 Rickenbackers
    2 Yamaha BB
    Same basses , 1 flats , 1 rounds ?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I have a J with rounds and one with flats. Both my Ps have rounds.

Mr Cheese, DJ Bebop and lowdownthump like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have used flats from time to time, but I do not think I have ever had two of the same bass.

4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I ran that setup with two Squier Jazz basses. Very satisfactory. Sold the basses, stupidly. Now run with two absolutely identical Sterling Ray4s, one flats, one rounds, and if anything that’s even better.

Oddly enough, always run rounds on my fretlesses. Flats on them is a horrible experience. So I have two basses with frets basically to have one bass I like running flats on…but if you own a Ray it’s almost required by law to have a Ray with rounds. So, two.

5. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Yep precisions set up that way holds true for me, my Fender P's wear flats and rounds, CV P's and fretless have flats/rounds as well and in different brands/gauges, keeps it interesting for me but my J's wear rounds right now, I'm sure i'll get there though. ;)

DJ Bebop and lowdownthump like this.
  6. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    I've got this with 2 Epiphone bolt-on Thunderbirds.

Flats:
    20210514_163915.jpg

Rounds:
    20210720_235954.jpg

:)

DJ Bebop and lowdownthump like this.
  7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I've heard that fans of the Epiphone Jack Casady bass often do this. 1 round, 1 flat. I think even the man himself has his instruments with both.

Pimpernel Smith and lowdownthump like this.
  8. Dirk Rockbottom

Dirk Rockbottom

Oct 30, 2012
    I have rounds on one P and flats on the other. Prefer the flats. They sound better on a P to my ears. But there's just something about rounds on a Jazz that sound crunchier in the mix, which I like.

sonojono and lowdownthump like this.
  9. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have EB Cobalt Flats on my Geddy and Sunbeams on my Sadowsky. The Cobalts are not exactly your run of the mill flat, but I like both sets of those strings on their respective basses. Just sound right, to me.
    My P-basses are split, too, flats and rounds.

Chicken Wing and lowdownthump like this.
  10. crobasster

crobasster

Jun 16, 2009
    croatia
    I have JB with rounds and with flats, my only P was always with flats .

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've never had two of the same bass. Changing strings is easy enough.

tyohars likes this.
  12. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    when i had 2 stingray specials the 4hh had flats and the 4h had rounds.
    when i had 2 jazz my Fender AO 70s had flats and my G&L Jazz has rounds.

Over the past 6 months I sold the 2 SS and just sold the Fender Jazz monday
    I am going to sell the G&L Jazz
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 3.50.05 PM.png

armybass likes this.
  13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    And what did you replace them with?

14. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    When i sold the SSs i got the Yamaha Attitude 3, Rick 4003 Fireglo, The Fender Jazz was replaced by Yamaha BBP34 (arriving today). But the G&L, for as great as it is, will just be to for the money.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    ED686743-E815-4738-82FB-0EB3E7CD3337.jpeg 77E0D5E6-02FA-4CD8-A50B-BE05D8A36CA5.jpeg
    Yes for more than a decade. Currently I am doing the same with 2 Stingray 5’s.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. Low Commotion

Low Commotion Supporting Member

My Geddy has DR Sunbeams, and my Jazz has Roto 66 SS. (I know it should be the other way around, but this works for me).

I don’t care for flats on my Jazz, but I don’t mind them on my JP (Jazz with P pickup) which has Dunlop flats. My Precision has TI flats. My Squier fretless has DR Sunbeams, but I'm going to try some flats on this.

17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    How do you use each one?
    Wouldn’t mind having another Stingray Special 5 for flats. I just palm mute now when I want that vibe.
    Do flats take away from the thunder of the B string? Which flats do you use?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    armybass likes this.
  18. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I go between flats and rounds often on my #1. Takes 3 min to change strings.

19. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Since I pared down the number of Basses I have a few years ago, I only have one P-Bass left and it wears flats. I have 3 J-Basses, one fretless with rounds, two fretted; one with flats, one with rounds. That seems to be more than adequate in covering my needs.

20. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I’ve discovered after lots of experimentation that I prefer a P with long-lasting, broken-in steel rounds and a J with mid-focused flats or half rounds. Both sound great with the strings reversed, but something about the above arrangement feels optimal and versatile. Mine are currently set up with Blue Steels (P) and D’Addario half rounds (J).

shojii likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021