One with flats one with rounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Jul 20, 2021.

1. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    I have a P with rounds and a P with flats. Historically speaking, a huge part of the music I love most was pick or finger playing on one of these variants. I typically never know when I’m going to need one of those sounds, so I happily keep both around.

Craig T Vector likes this.
  2. I have 2 PJ5s. They are from the same maufacturer (Wilkins) but different in that they have different pickups and electronics, but one always has flats, 1 always has rounds. It took a bit of time and experimentation to dial in which string worked best on which bass preferred, but the config is pretty much set now.

3. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin // Charlotte
    Sean Hurley talks about working with Fender to create an exact replica of his '60 P-bass (strung with flat wounds) so he could have a second bass strung with round wounds.

4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Currently yes, 4001 on the left has flats and the 4003 has rotosound rounds.

jmcHR1D.jpg

5. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    I do Precision’s, Ric’s, and Thunderbirds. Though I am thinking of swapping one of the Thunderbirds for an EB-O.

6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    At one point, I had one L-2000 with flats (3TS) and one with rounds (natural). I eventually sold the one with rounds.

C9767999-02EE-4D88-B12A-0979CE357929.jpeg

armybass likes this.
  7. I have flats-rounds bass pairings of the Precision, Jazz, Rickenbacker and StingRay Special varieties. (Yeah, I have too many basses.)

dabbler and lowdownthump like this.
  8. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    Virginia
    Flats are overrated here on TB, IMO. I have them on one of my Precisions. Rounds are where the tone is at.

gg22, sonojono and lowdownthump like this.
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I mix it up. I use something with a second pickup and/or active electronics to accentuate the treble from rounds. For me, flats are the only way to go with passive single-pickup axes. (Even guitars!)
    But there are no rules, here. If one were sufficiently committed to a certain baseline sound & neck profile, I suppose two of the same model, one for each string type could make sense.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I am generally a round wound guy.
    But lately, I have taken my 9 basses and determined that some of them either sound better with flats, or by using flats I can cover more of a spectrum of sound and styles.
    It's fun to experiment.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Rick with flats ..... Leon Sylvers :headphone::smug:

HELLonWHEELS likes this.
  12. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    Virginia
    Not bashing flats... but rounds are much more versatile. I can make rounds sound like flats. With the exception of Ernie Ball Cobalts.... it's impossible to make flats sound like rounds.

JRA likes this.
  13. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I defiantly have "stacked" my collection to get different tonal options. It started by chance with a couple of purchases, but realized the benefit of having two P's or J's for example at different ends of the tonal spectrum.

x2 Jazz Bass's
    60's Voiced - 85 MIJ with nj4 60's wind
    70's Voiced - 1977 Original

x2 Precisions
    Traditional P bass - Rosewood, SPB-1's, could have flats or rounds
    Grindy Rock P bass - Maple, GZR's

The extra Flavor
    90's Stingray 4ST 3-band

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I use TI flats and the B string sounds just as good as it does with rounds. I use it for 90’s and old school country. I generally like flats for bands with two guitars. The sonic range of flats is usually perfect for those types of gigs. I use rounds for most rock/pop stuff.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. Bonafide

Bonafide 'RGJR' Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin Texas
    Artist: Band In A Box, Nick Silver Pickups, Free The Tone, Carr Amps + more
    Yes. P w/ flats and P w/ rounds. Both essential in my opinion.

Rezdog and Killing Floor like this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have a J with rounds and EBMM Sabre and Ray with rounds. P and fretlesses with flats, semi hollow with flats.
    I think some techniques and some basses work better with one or the other.
    I have played a P with rounds. They ship with rounds because that is what the factory spec is. Take that! But I like TI flats on my Ps. I have flats on more basses than rounds. But my soul would be locked out of heaven if I put flats on a Ray. You know it’s true.

17. No I don’t. I don’t have basses with flats.

18. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    Both pictured with rounds but currently have flats... IMG_20210702_133752732.jpg

19. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The bass picks the strings, as Bobby Vega says.

20. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Huntington WV
    My '80's Steinberger XL2 basses. The passive EQ '84 has chrome flats and the active HAZ EQ '87 has gold rounds. Night and Day!

Stein.jpg

Jefenator likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021