One with flats one with rounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Jul 20, 2021.

1. I did. Then I realized I always preferred the flats. Now, they all just have flats.

Jefenator and lowdownthump like this.
  2. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I used to have two Fullerton reissue Jazz Basses, one fretless (1982 w/rounds) and one fretted (1984 w/TI flats) still have the fretted, bought it new. B580469B-2275-4E68-87FE-B59CC201BB05.jpeg

3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I tell myself that if I were a busy session player I would surely need a P-bass with rounds and one with flats. So that I could take both and let the producer decide which, without having to spend time re-stringing.

But I'm not. I'm a 50 year old dad in software sales who plays a few gigs a year and who has five basses mostly sitting on a rack these days. I'll admit to having a set of roundwound as well as flatwound strings for my P-bass, but only the one bass.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    RazorbackDad, Jefenator and JRA like this.
  4. whatever4

whatever4

Dec 12, 2012
    I have a '72 P with flats and a '75 with rounds. Both have solid maple necks, which can be difficult and expensive to re-fret, so I have TI flats on the '72 to preserve what's left of the frets because it has the most fret wear. And it seems the tone of flats would be less affected by a slightly flat fret since flats are less flexible than rounds because of the width of the winding. I like the bright growl of rounds on my '75, and the cost and convenience of only having to keep fresh strings on one bass.

Jefenator and lowdownthump like this.
  5. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I have a P with flats and one with tapewounds. Then I have a 5 string jazz with rounds I keep for when its needed.

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have a Fender MIJ P bass with flats, and a MIA Fender Jazz with Nickel Rounds. I also have a RW Jazz with Pressurewounds, and a MIM Jazz with Balanced Rounds.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Ever since I switched to Flats I can’t do rounds anymore, all three of my basses have Flats, 2 Pbasses and a Jazz, as for sound and tone I play just about every genre of music and the Flats do just fine with all of it and the bonus is not having to buy new strings every 6 months...

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Does it count if I have LaBella tape wounds on my 4-string Jazz and Boomer round wounds on my 5-string? Round wounds are on my 5-string because I was using round-wounds on my Jazz back in 2009. Of course they are far different animals from each other with my Jazz being a passive bass and my Rogue 5-string being active/passive selectable. Hardly use my 5-string so I haven't changed it to tape-wounds.

9. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yes please.

Rezdog and lowdownthump like this.
  10. Yes, Ps and Js with both. Fender nickels for rounds and Fender 9050s or Chromes for flats. I do prefer bright/spanky/klanky flats so I change them somewhat frequently.

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

P5 Flats -- P5 Nickel Rounds

4003S Tapes -- 4003S5 Nickel Rounds

Reverend BH5 Tapes -- Reverend BH5 Nickel Rounds

Rezdog

12. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Yes, I do this with my StingRays. The pink HH on the left uses rounds. The middle fretless H has tapewounds. And the Purple H on the right in the 2nd pic has flats.

20210429_231132.jpg

20210429_231350.jpg

Rezdog likes this.
  13. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Flats on fretted, rounds on fretless.

JRA likes this.
  14. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Many "duplicates," often just based on a variety of finish colors. Most have flats. Rounds, I keep here and there. But 90 percent or more of my basses have flats. I have never purchased a near identical bass just to have one with a different set of strings on it.

15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I have one Jazz with flats and an EB-3 with tapewounds and I only use these for recording if needed....Everything else is Roundwounds

16. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'd like to have a P with flats and a P with rounds. Right now, everything ends up with flats eventually.

17. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Only rounds

18. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I have Chromes on ‘Oly White’ & Roto SS rounds on ‘Blackie’ :thumbsup:

55DB8A10-7697-4E3C-A7B6-E16FF810D216.jpeg

19. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I have a Sire V3 Jazz with flats for reggae and a Sire M5 with rounds for everything else. I run the M5 pickups as single coils so it's sort of Jazzy but doesn't have the traditional look.

20. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    I finally found some rounds I like. A p-bass with sunbeams on is a very versatile bass!

That said, I have 3 P basses: A fretless with labella tapewounds, fretted with TI flats, and fretted with sunbeams. I need one more P Bass for LaBella 54s tuned down to D.

Rezdog likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021