One with flats one with rounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Three Bronco basses: a shell pink with rounds, a blue one with d'addario tapewounds and a black one with Thomastik flats. Strangely enough my preference changes without any reason: one period I only play rounds, then one day I change and only play tapewounds for months. Then again, suddenly, back again or to flatwounds...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. TerriblePeril

TerriblePeril

Nov 26, 2014
    Yes. As much as possible, I like having a nice sonic spectrum, and sussing out what bass likes what string I’d fun

dabbler likes this.
  3. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    I think everyone does this:
    MIJ ash Precision: TI Jazz flats
    Godin Freeway 4: Chromes
    Peavey Milestone II Relic Rat Rod: Roto Swing 66 bright rounds
    Behringer Franken P-clone: Fender 45s, also round and bright.
    Sometimes I want that blend-in, smooth flat sound of yore cause I play the blues. Hides my finger scrape sounds too. So mellow. Fantastic jazzy neck noodling like I'm in a bistro, drummer just doing that ching, ching ka ching thing. A blues legend in my own room/mind. Better basses and strings than I deserve.
    But then sometimes I want to get loud and drown out the crazy woman's shouting down the street. Gain, flanger, chorus, reverb... DSC07472 (1).JPG Then it's rounds and my cheap loud disposable P-clones and dusting off the Rumble 75. Sometimes I play police sirens to drive her indoors. Cathartic.
    Thanks flats and rounds.

4. I’m seriously considering another one for exactly this reason.

5. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    Not yet but seriously considering getting another Longhorn (now if I could find a commie red...).
    Dano with flats has all the tone I could want from a P; and with rounds it really calm down my GAS for a Rick...

6. kingforaday

kingforaday

Dec 13, 2007
    72712F97-F16C-463B-9118-E6A89A277402.jpeg

Yep! The sunburst Peavey T-40 on left is currently strung with flats, the rest round wound.

TerriblePeril and lowdownthump like this.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I have 15 basses ... some active, some passive, some with octave strings, different scale lengths, 30" 32" 33" 34", one fretless, but at this point no flats. maybe someday

8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yes no kind of.... The maple neck Milly is strung with D'A half rounds. The pau ferro Milly is strung with D'A nickel round wounds. So yeah, yes no kind of. ;)
    Non Identical Twins 2.jpg

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I have a P w/flats. J w/rounds.
    My main bass is a 5/rounds.
    Also have a fretless 5 also w/rounds.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

As Captain Picard would say, "Make it so!" :)

11. cxc

cxc

Sep 17, 2020
    NC
    3 Js…2 w/ Flats, 1 w/ Rounds

12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I use flats on my Stingray and rounds on my NS Design fretless. I bought my ray new in 98 and it's had the same set of flats on it since 2009 or so. I bought my fretless new in 2017 and it came with flats on it. I think I kept them on for all of a day before swapping out to rounds. I'll never put flats on it again.

arbiterusa likes this.
  13. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Why yes, and thank you for asking. I need to have La Bella DTFs on my 57 AVRI Precision, because I’ve had such great results recording that set-up. And as a lover of flats, my original plan was to put some other flavor of flats on my other P. I went through a lot of them, but at the end of the day, to really give me the greatest breadth of tones between the two, I ended up with rounds on the other one.

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    I use DR Pure Blues on my Jazz. Rotosound 77 flats on my Precision. I try to stay away from stainless steel due to fret wear. I want to try Pressurewounds here soon and might put them on a Precision.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    P has flats, PJ's have rounds. That's as close as I get.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Guilty. In June I floated the idea on this forum about having duplicates of things that are harder to come by, as a backup. Then I talked myself out of it. Then I talked myself back into it, and I’m glad I did. I have a Japanese Fender Sting bass from 2012, that i adore. Resonant af, light, sounds amazing with TI flats. I saw another on the bay with a nicer grain and was thinking I’d get it as a backup and also to have rounds on it. I did my usual mods, added a shim to the neck, a modern hi-mass Fender bridge, but decided to add a humbucking pickup. The first Sting bass I got has some kind of noiseless replacement pickup, but the second one I bought had the original and it was intolerably noisy. So I got the Lindy Fralin split ‘51. Oh man that thing is nasty. So now I have two Sting basses, one with flats, one with rounds. Playing the new one with rounds and the Fralin this Saturday at a gig. Very happy I sprang for a duplicate. And in case you are wondering, no, I don’t need a third.

*however, I did just order a set of J bass pickups from Fralin because I’m so impressed with what they do with a ‘51 SCPB. Stay tuned.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I kinda wish I could do this. I’d welcome the simplicity of playing 4’s exclusively. I’d like to be in Sean’s position. Pick the bass and play a line that serves the song. Being in a cover band, I find I need rounds and a 5 string to best cover all the stuff.

I actually wrote to him asking about playing “covers” or other peoples lines in established songs. His response was nice. He seems like a good guy. He basically said if he were in my situation, he’d probably do what I was doing. He (often) has the luxury of creating the bass line so he can kind of do/use what he wants.

18. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    J with flats, MM style with rounds, but I've been thinking of replacing the MM with another J with rounds.

19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice collection!! Is that a complete set?

kingforaday likes this.
  20. TerriblePeril

TerriblePeril

Nov 26, 2014
    Aside from the obvious instrument and rig flex, let’s give it up for your HOUSE. There’s gotta be several thousand pounds being supported in a small area!

kingforaday likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021