One with flats one with rounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Jul 20, 2021.

1. kingforaday

kingforaday

Dec 13, 2007
    not quite! There’s still a factory fretless (T40FL) to find as well as Sienna burst, Red & Burgundy finishes, Rosewood fretboard (had one and sold it… regret)… there’s also some finishes I’ve seen that are really rare (Red burst, frost blue etc) so the hunt continues… trouble is I’m in the uk so it’s even harder to track them down, and the prices are going up and up at the moment

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My P bass is passive with flats and foam. I tried putting flats on my active Jazz but that made it sound so much like the P bass that I put the rounds back on.

If I had another P bass I'd probably put rounds on it for a more tonal variety.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    All of my fretless basses have flats. But I also have flats on these:

IMGP1853a.jpg

and rounds on these:

IMGP5212a.jpg

I also have fretted Ps with rounds and one with flats, but they are not string type color-coded like the J's. :)

Why do this? When I want "that" sound, I choose the appropriate tool. And yeah, you can make rounds approximate flats... but it ain't the same.

kingforaday and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021