Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one year with out smoking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 8, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Praise God i made it a whole year with out lighting up a cig. The smell of cig smoke makes me want to vomit but it is the sensation of smoking that has stuck with me. Somedays i still feel like having a Lucky Strike or a Camel but i have been just having an Altoid (Spearment) instead. If their is anyone out their trying to quite i say go cold turkey because if you try the cutting down most people will just play games with themselves and take extra cigs. Best of luck to all who are trying but stick with it.:)

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Way to go man. I kicked the habit two months ago... the money I've saved will go towards a new bass :)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

In this past year i have gotten 3 new basses. Epihone Jack Casady Schecter Model T and a FBB 047-02. If i was smoking their would be no way i could ever afford this stuff plus i cant get married so i might as well have a few basses.

4. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    Keep it up Major!, and you too Thrash!
    I am on 2 1/2 years myself without that evil cigarette. I smoked for about ten years. I agree with Major, cold turkey is the only way to go, it is tuff but if I could do it anyone can.:D

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The $500 I've saved so far is going towards a custom JAF Minuteman II six... :cool:

Me, I only smoked for about 5 years, but I felt it was time to quit - I was getting nothing out of it any longer. I do still smoke the odd Colt (cigar) though.

I agree 100% that cold turkey is the only way to do it. Cutting down doesn't work - I tried that a jillion times and it never stuck. Apparently it only takes three days to purge your system of nicotine; after that, it's a mental habit and not a physical craving.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to quit!

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Nice going, MM.

Smoking is one of those habits you may miss sometimes, but you'll never say, "Gosh I wished I'd kept smoking all these years."

7. Good job guys, I just recently quit too, about 3 or so months ago. I still smoke a very occasional rolled Cigarrete (very occasional being about once a month) but ive not gone back to the filtered death sticks. Keep up the good work guys. OH yea and ive noticed quite a bit more money in my wallet these past 3 months too.

8. going cold turkey isn't nearly as delicious as it sounds.

good work; keep it up!

9. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    How do you light those without burning your lips?

Seriously, MAJOR congrats - you're a better man than I, I've pretty much given up trying to quit. Every time I try, I become such an ass that my wife begs me to start smoking again.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    good for you!!! :)

i want to disagree and agree with the cold turkey thang'

i recommend it because with cold turkey, the pain is not deferred like the patch. you go through a month and a half full of hell and then part of the pain is gone.

but i found zyban or wellbutran works very well (i had to give up due to family issues at the time - too much stress). my doctor told me to stay on the pill and don't even try to quit for two months. after about a month and half i was already slowing down a lot!

i got down to 1 smoke a day with no pain and punching holes in the walls. the pills really work!

but back to you:

mucho congrats on your victory!! :)

11. Good job!
    For me it was 7 years this past February.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Congrats guys, HORRAY FOR NOT PAYING SOMEONE TO SLOWLY KILL YOU!

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Congrats to all of you.

Good job.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    First of all, congrats!!!

Second of all, I ultimately went cold-turkey. I smoked for longer than I didn't: from age 16 through age 33. In fact, I quit 3 days before the attack on the World Trade Center.

Now that I've been smoke free for 1-1/2 years, I feel much better! Cigarette smoke bugs the crap out of me.

Third of all, congrats!!!:D

15. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I went cold turkey in July. I literally would not light and smoke a cigarette for ten thousand dollars now.

The biggest surprise for me was smelling the smells of the world again. That and the taste of food.

Now if I can find a good diet to lose the 40 pounds I've gained, I'll have it made. :)

16. Congrats man! That is an awesome thing to do for yourself and those around you.

Besides, you wouldn't want to get any cig. ashes on that new FBB your getting, would you?;) :)

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Rock on, Man! I quit 8 (!) years ago. The key is to think of yourself as a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker. And never let yourself have a 'cheater', you'd be back in no time.

great job, dude!

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I quit 7 months ago, you go bro'!

19. neomecha

neomecha

Feb 7, 2003
    Pelham, NY
    way to go guyz!
    I'm makin' it thru w/out cigar for about two yrs now!