1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ongoing build, pickguard opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cat_Died, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Brown tort

35.9%
  2. B/W/B

46.2%
  3. Other

23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Man, this looks incredible. I love that PG.

My pick would definitely be white with that pickguard though! I love a white relic.

I'd vote brown tort tho for the green over sunburst if sticking with this plan. Please keep that PG style!

2. I'm a big fan of the wood pickguard. Beautiful build, btw!

3. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    Thanks a bunch, man. The pickguard is pretty integral towards this design. It was basically the starting point for the whole thing. There's definitely a struggle because I would love to make it white with the relic, but I've already got a white bass and I really want a seafoam one.

Microbass likes this.
  4. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    Thank you so much!

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I voted b/w/b because mostly of the neck. Maple with blk blocks looks great with b/w/b...in my opinion it is a nice "safe" look. You really can't go wrong type of thing.
    Have fun with finishing the build.
    :thumbsup:

6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    The way I picture the finish, a mint pickguard might also work well.

Microbass likes this.
  7. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    That's actually something I hadn't considered! Makes a bunch of sense. Thank you!

8. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    It looks great as is - almost a shame to see the thing relic'd. If it were mine I'd either: A.) clear coat it and keep the birch pickguard (which looks SHARP)

or B.) Go with this color combo:
    [​IMG]

By the way, does anyone know what this color is officially called?

9. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    That stingray looks GOOD. Id like to keep it natural, but the Bondo filled J Bass pickup routes would bother me too much. Haha.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  10. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    I was going to say red but this makes sense so I changed my vote.

Cat_Died likes this.
  11. mc900ftj

mc900ftj Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Can't go wrong with tort on that color.

Cat_Died likes this.
  12. Personally, I like it with the pickguard it has now. If I were to change it though, I'd get a chessboard/black and white checkered flag. In the same shape, although the standard shape would also look nice. I think that would look awesome. With that block neck, and all that wood, checkered flag all the way.

13. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I do like Brown Tort, but I voted other, for the Black Moto type. (Black Pearloid)

[​IMG]

Cat_Died likes this.
  14. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    That'd be pretty punk rock. Haha

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  15. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    20190613_204937. Getting the burst sorted right now, and just thought I'd test the current guard against the paint color I'm using, and I'm kinda diggin how it looks. Might just keep this guard around for a bit, and feel it out. May still end up ordering a custom guard.

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  16. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    Sub-par finish has been applied! The color is slightly different than I'd been planning for, but I like it. I'm not entirely hip to the old fender colors, but this reminds me of the Mark Hoppus signature Jazz. What would y'all call the color? 20190614_172852.

17. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    Sea foam? Regardless of what you call it I like it! I am all the more convinced of the black guard. Almost a mint chocolate chip look :drool:

Cat_Died likes this.
  18. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    upload_2019-6-15_15-23-24.

This is the Benjamin Moore swatch for sea foam green ..... really close looking at it on my phone. Not sure what Fender would call it tho.

19. Cat_Died

Cat_Died

Jun 10, 2019
    That's what I thought as well, but every time I start seafoam it comes up more teal.

20. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Take a slice of Tort...
    Tortloaf.

Cat_Died likes this.