1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ongoing Carvin V115 cab troubles!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scrodzilla, Aug 9, 2008.

1. In an earlier post about my Carvin 115 cab, I described a faulty input circuit board-type thing and realized with the help of people on this site that the circuit(less) board could be done away with and a normal 1/4" input jack could be used in it's place. After soldering one in and realizing I still had no signal going to that cab, I pulled the speaker out to find that the back of it was completely destroyed. :eek: So...I'm shopping for a 15" speaker that can handle quite a bit of wattage without spending 500 bucks. Anyone have any recommendations (or 15" woofers they're looking to unload)?

I'm running Peavey Firebass 700 (don't snicker...after owning and several different 'high end' heads, I stick by my faithful Peavey!) to an 8 ohm 4x10 daisy-chained to the 8 ohm V115 from one output, parallel to a 4 ohm 2x15 cab plugged into the other (two 8 ohm cabs daisy-chained running alongside one 4 ohm cab does produce a 2 ohm load, right???)

-Dave

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Get a replacement from Carvin. Their prices should be good, and the cab is designed for that speaker.

3. Right on, Rick. I just looked at Carvin.com and saw that I can get a better speaker than the one that was in my cab originally (same model, just rated for 600w instead of 500) for a hundred bucks. Unless aliens land and hand me an indestructible 15" woofer that can dispense Miller High Life and maple walnut ice cream for free, I'll be getting my replacement direct from Carvin.

Thanks a lot!

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd replace it with the same speaker that Carvin used in that cabinet, to ensure the speaker matches the cabinet tuning. Unless that 15" speaker is a really low power handling speaker, the increase to a 600 watt speaker from a 400 watt one (for example) won't give you any noticeable improvement and if the speaker doesn't suit the cabinet as well as the original, your actual sound quality could be degraded. Call the tech guys (not the salesmen) at Carvin and ask their opinion. You will probably save a few bucks that you may not have to spend.

Edit to add---if the replacement is the same speaker, just now rated for 600 watts. then you should be able to use it with confidence. Carvin woofers are made by Eminence. Eminence over the last few years has changed the power ratings on many of their speakers, due in part to better materials being used now. Eminence makes very good speakers. The ones they make for Carvin are equally good.

5. Yeah...I've been doing a little research and realized last night that Carvin speakers are made by Eminence. Instead of making a 500w model like the one that came stock in my cab (in 1989), they've brought the same speaker up to 600w. Considering my amp throws 700w at 2 ohms, I was most likely pushing the cab a bit too much. Besides, It's a pretty old cab that I bought used. I do believe the extra watt rating may be in my favor.

Thanks again!

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's not the same speaker with more thermal power handling - it's a different design though it seems to live in the same cab tunings well enough. Which brings up what you need to consider next: that vintage of Carvin 115 cab if I recall rightly is rather small for decent LF performance, which is why Carvin started building bigger 115 cabs probably 10 or 15 years ago.

7. The original speaker in my cab is marked with the model number PCS15-8 / 500w and the speaker I am looking to replace it with is labeled PCS15-8 / 600w. Wouldn't that make it the same model speaker with a higher wattage rating? :confused:

8. Rocket surgery :) Call Carvin and see what the recommend.

9. I plan on doing just that tomorrow morning.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    So the number is the same. But the T-S specs are not. Was that hard to understand in my last post? They have changed several times since Carvin's in-house catalog number began to be used. Even the voice coil size is different. More has changed with this and other longstanding Carvin (and EM) models than just thermal power handling (is a 1968 Mustang anything like its current-day namesake?), but what remains fairly constant - as I said in my earlier post - is that it reacts about the same to tunings and cab volumes as regards shaping its low frequency response.

The second part of my last message was that Carvin began to realize that the V115 box was undersized for that T-S formula. So a reasonable conclusion is that replacing the driver with a newer one bearing the same moniker might not be as efficacious as either

1) finding a driver that operates better in a small box like that. The Em Kappalite 3015 might be a better bet. This approach probably won't yield either as much low-bass or as much mid-bass as -

2) buying a current cab with more internal volume, which actually makes WAY better use of that driver.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Eminence's basslite series seem to do alright in smaller(ish) enclosures. Don't worry too much about power ratings as bass drivers will go into overexcursion long before they see that much power. Just make sure whatever you get is an 8ohm speaker if you're chaining all that stuff together.

12. Right on, Will. Thanks. I'll check it out once I finish my research on the differences between a '68 Mustang and a 2008. :D

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    www.bltsound.com hass the best prices I've found so far on eminence stuff but you'll have to inquire about a 8ohm basslite, all they list is 4ohm. Carvin's replacement is 100 bucks, not going to get much better than that for a new driver if money is an issue. All I'm seeing now is 4ohm basslites, I could swear they came in 8ohm but maybe I'm thinking of the 12's or something.

14. Thanks for the link. I've also been having trouble finding an 8 ohm basslite but I will contact them and see if it's an option. Price isn't a huge deal but I'd rather keep it as inexpensive as possible. If all else fails, I'll go with the 600w Carvin (which I'm told is almost identical to the Eminence Kappa Pro 15). I really don't think the speaker would have failed if it weren't for the input/board deciding to destroy itself. I believe whoever owned this cab before me was also concerned about overexcursion because of the cab's smaller size, due to the two 2 1/2" ports added in the upper corners in addition to the stock large bottom port. The cab does push a lot of air...even more through the top ports than the bottom (and sounds really good), but I've never experienced a problem with overexcursion...with this cab, at least.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You didn't mention the additional "ports" before. Need to take a couple peices of plywood and close those. What that did is raise the tuning frequency of the cab, not lower it. That means your driver probably unloaded below the tuning frequency ripping itself apart. Need to fix that before tearing up another one. That was the result of somebody messing with it who had no idea what they were doing, close them up and just leave the slot port along the bottom that's supposed to be there. I have a mock up of my old V115 in my WinISD files and it's already tuned around 49-50hz, the extra holes put it up in guitar territory.

16. Well, damn...thanks again. I've had the cab for well over a year now and it gets used (and pushed) pretty frequently. The speaker didn't fail until the trouble I had with my input and when I looked inside, the voice coil was blown apart and the wires leading to it looked burnt as well. I figured those extra ports would make some sort of difference in the tuning of the cab but wasn't sure exactly how much. They were there when I bought it so I never really thought much about whether or not they would cause damage. I'll get in there and cover them up before bolting in a new speaker.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    May have been a glitch in the boards they put in there for no reason, when mine burnt it took out the circuitless card but not the driver, maybe the amp protection tripped soon enough. Anyway still close the extra holes and leave the one that's supposed to be there. As it is now, your cabs tuned high enough that your bass can be putting out frequencies lower than that with some power. In a ported cab, you lose total control over the speaker below the tuning frequency and it starts flying back and forth way farther than it's built to. One of two things then happen, the cone physically rips apart or the voicecoil moves so far back it shorts out against the back of the magnet structure which yours may have done as you said the voice coil was "blown apart" and mentioned burnt wires.

18. Well, okay...after speaking with an extremely helpful tech at Carvin and being advised that the PSC15-8 would be the best replacement speaker that they would have for my V115 cab and what I'm using it for, I made the purchase. It arrived only a few days later, I bolted it in (after covering those "extra" ports from the inside), hooked it up to a new input jack and was AMAZED at how good the old cab sounded. Maybe I could have gotten a better speaker for more money, but for the hundred bucks spent and how huge the damn thing sounds, I'm definitely glad I went with Carvin.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their help. I appreciate it!

:bassist:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021