Online Bass gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mijarra, Jan 28, 2001.

1. mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    I get a lot of stuff from like strings, picks, straps, etc...nothing major. It's easier than driving 20-50 miles to a music store and I usually don't need the stuff immediately. Are there any other online stores similar to this that are decent? Also, has anyone or would anyone ever buy a bass or an amp/cab/etc from an online delivery type source like Musicians Friend or Carvin? I am considering buying a new bass and I think I will have trouble finding exactly what I want locally. Then again, I am pretty put off by the fact that I won't be able to try it before I play it.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey mijarra! Welcome to TalkBass :)

I've dealt with M/F and Bass Northwest with good results. Got basses from both.
    Also got an amp from "Dr. Music" and a bass from "Bass & Treble"

Here's a link to a page full o' links :p =>
    (some of `em are dead)

Here's a few more that might be helpful...
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Stay "put off"!!!
    There are always individual differences in instruments. So, if you try one in a shop and love it, you may buy it cheeper over the 'net - and hate what comes.
    My .02 is obvious: buy the individual bass you like, after testing. Only....:(
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

Way Better than Musicians Friend.. and lower prices.

About buying instruments online.. EVERYTHING I OWN has been bought online.. I have no other way, since I live in Ecuador and I AM THE ONLY STORE that carries good brands.

Can you believe it??

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    That is of course unless you are getting a custom bass made for you. :)
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Re American Musical vs.MF: it's not always the case e.g. the FX board for Roland VS series recorders,the VS8F-2; American has it on their site for $329 while at MF it's $279 and mine was at my door 4 days after my phone call.Now there may be other items where the opposite is true,but most retailers these days will match a legitimate lower quote from a competitor anyway...
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ooops - bin reading some of my others postings, hav'ya? :p ;)
    Well, there would be a problem trying out a bass that doesn't exist... Therefore: buy custom locally, so that you can "sit on top of" the luthier and have a continous dialogue. Thus getting the optimal bass.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That may require moving to the luthier's town.
  9. mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    Thanks for all the insight everyone. And thanks for the links notduane and Ifabara, that ought to keep me busy for a while.

Speaking of custom basses, any opinions on Carvin? I like what I see in their catalog but I am not sure what their reputation is.