1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Online bass lessons

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sinbad7, Oct 20, 2017.

1. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    Hey guys! So I've been playing bass for about 15 years. I'm 100% self taught and I would call myself a pretty good bassist. Certainly nothing special, and have incredible room for improvement! I've played in punk bands, metal bands, folk bands. My current band is a metal band, and I recently bought a 5 string (ibanez srff805) and it has basically turned my world upside down, in a good way! I've had to rethink all of my bands songs, and play them differently and transpose riffs and I love that learning feeling that I haven't felt in a long time!
    So my question, I want to find a really good, solid online, or even dvd, bass lesson/music theory lessons that start from the begining. I know the basics, but that's pretty much it but I know I didn't correctly learn them. I want to learn more and become a better bassist and musician! I know there a tons and tons of youtube videos, but there are so many that I don't even know where to begin! There really aren't any good places locally for me to go, and I have a 2 month old, so I don't really have the time to physically leave the house for lessons.
    Any and all feedback would be amazing!
    Thanks guys!

2. I'm old school and feel that music theory is the same for any style of music you may want to play. How we use that theory depends on our specific instrument and the specific style of music we want to play.

I also like to do my theory work by reading about a concept with my bass by my side, i.e. read first, making notes in the margins of the book and then try out what I've learned on my bass.

So I am not going to point you to videos. Instead the theory paper listed in Mambo's posts is second to none. http://www.lifesmith.com/VHS Web/Music Theory - Basic Level.pdf First 30 pages are the nuts and bolts of music theory. With out these concepts you will keep running into brick walls and producing Jell-O instead of music. The next 30 pages tell you how to use the first 30 pages and then the last 30 pages deal with modes. Skip this last 30 pages, it'll just confuse you and send you off on a journey that the lead electric guitar guys go on, i.e. three or four years from now you'll want to take on modes, but, right now you have better things to learn.

I also recommend Alfred's piano theory workbook. Again theory is theory and the piano's keyboard being in a straight line, instead of broken between 3 or 4 strings make it easy to understand. I also recommend you get an inexpensive electronic keyboard, to work out what you are learning.

Three months with that theory paper or Alfred's theory book and then you are ready for the thousand theory videos that are on the Internet. Those Internet videos are just bits and pieces of the story. Its like going to a vending machine and picking what you think you need. Good luck with that.

Have fun.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    sinbad7 likes this.
  3. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    Thank you so much! That sounds incredible! I actually have an older keyboard and I've always wanted to sit down and learn my way around it, so your suggestion sounds like it may kill 2 birds with one stone! Thanks so much for putting me on the right path!

4. Brian Phillips

Brian Phillips

Oct 21, 2016
    Sinbad7, try Russ Rodgers. I've had some lessons with him and cannot rate him highly enough. Link below:
    Bass Lessons

Regardless of the subject, in my experience it's extremely hard to find someone who's both excellent at teaching and an excellent artist. He's got both in spades. On top of that he's a very cool laid back guy and also quite funny.

I'm still scratching my head as to why he's not famous!! Seriously. The dude has it all.

He will open your eyes to music theory in a way you will understand and make you kick yourself why no one else teaches bass the way he does.

Granted he's not cheap but after a few lessons you'll actually wonder why he doesn't charge more!

Cannot recommend him enough!

Cheers

p.s. Please mention me if you happen to go ahead with lessons... he might even give me one for free ;-)

sinbad7 likes this.
  5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    As one who is self taught and learned guitar before the internet. I would suggest, since you've been playing for 15+ years, and can hold down many gigs, you really don't need to start taking lessons, much less pay for them. At your stage of the game, you should be asking yourself, what it is you want to achieve or accomplish with your instrument. Once you narrow down your focus on what that is, then do a online search and explore the free tutorials for the answer(s). Like you said, there are tons of online help. Thus, you'll need to narrow down your search to be more specific and make the online search easier.

Finding bass lessons to subscribe to is many, but finding tips on a specific technique or how to develop metal grooves are much easier to find.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    sinbad7 likes this.
  6. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    There are benefits to structured lessons that lead you to material. I strongly recommend Ariane Cap’s online course as both deep and comprehensive in covering a lot of the theory you’ll need on bass and as an opportunity to both stretch and to revisit all the basics.

sinbad7 likes this.
  7. Sid s

Sid s

Dec 22, 2016
    Western NC, USA
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    sinbad7 likes this.
  8. Brian Phillips

Brian Phillips

Oct 21, 2016

sinbad7 likes this.
  9. This is good advice, but probably not for the reason you think. People who have played for a long time are notoriously difficult to teach one on one. So a lot of times, they are better off going on their own. But if the old student has an open mind and can change some things if suggested, then one on one is usually a better way to go.

sinbad7 likes this.
  10. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    Thank you all so much for you suggestions!
    At this point, I would have no problem buying some books and going that route. I'd rather not pay for traditional style lessons, but I'm certainly not totally opposed to it.
    There are certain techniques that I would really like to learn (such as slapping), but for the most part, I really just want to learn everything over again.
    I took a beginners guitar course in collage (for an easy A and to fill up my schedule) and found that I had learned several things wrong, and that simple course taught me quite a bit. So I am absolutely open to relearning what I can, because I'm sure I have also learned a lot of things on bass incorrectly.
    I will look in to all of your suggestions and see what fits me best!
    Thanks again guys!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021