Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Online bass retailers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suicas, Dec 14, 2004.

1. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I've been looking for a lefty fretless 5 string for a while in the UK, and may have to give up soon...

My next hope is that I can find something suitable in the US to ship over.

I'm just wondering if any of you can recommend some online bass retailers that you've had positive experiences with, and are large enough that they might stock a decent range of LH basses too.

Tried a search here and with google, but not come up with a great deal...

Cheers,
    Dave

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Have you tried Bass Central? They might be able to special order one and have it shipped to you.

3. given your lefty fretless, you may want to order a carvin. The reason is that you will not get penalized for opting for a fretless, not will you get charged more for opting for a lefty.

I have not had one of their instruments, but have seen them and the build quality is good. But I would suggest ordering one of the bolt-on necks with J99 single coils. They will not charge extra for either left or fretless, and the fingerboards are suppossed to be really good.

Actually, if it were my fretless, it would be:

alder wood with an exotic top
    bolt-on maple neck
    unlined fingerboard
    "traditional" 2 + 2 headstock
    black hardware
    J99 passive pups
    passive

I like the more modest carvins than the high-end ones.

you should be able to have one custom built and shipped for $1,000 U.S. dollars.

Of course, BassCentral or Bass Northwest would be good too. www.crescentcitymusic.biz will also ship anywhere. But Alan's specialty is ordering something not in stock. He will go out of his way to get whatever you want. The other stores above are great, but are better for finding rare things in stock.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bass Central, Bass NW, Low Down Sound. Probably any of those three could get what you wanted, and you would get great service and a great price at any of the three.

5. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Thanks for the tips, those all look like great sites. I've emailed crecentcity and had a look at bass central, the Carvin custom shop also looks very tempting, I'll start hunting for some reviews now..