online buying etiquette.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 14, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a question for you, dealing with online trading etiquette...... Yesterday, someone posted a bass I am interested in on the for sale forums. I send them a PM, and and left a notification on the thread for the seller to check his PM's. Shortly after, I got a PM from someone else, who apparently wants to deal on buying the bass also, here is the message I got:

(begin other buyer message)
    Do you mind checking out another Sterling? I just got in contact with this guy, and we are working something out. I can send you some links to a few other Musicmans if you want, all around the same price. I've just started to work soemthing out with this guy.

(end of buyers message)

The seller has sent me pics of the bass as requested, and seems interested in making a deal with me, based on the offer I sent him (which was before this other guy basically told me to bug off so he could buy it). I believe it was him that requested info on it earlier in the day before I inquired, but I didn't know that placed dibs over anyone else.....I'm assuming that would be up to the seller.

My question is, should I back out and let the guy have his shot at it, or ignore him and continue to deal with the seller? Kinda pisses me off the guy had the nerve to do that......but like I said, I am not sure of the ediquette involved. I know I wouldn't be happy if I were selling something and that happend to one of my buyers. Any thoughts?

Edited for clarity
  2. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    free market.
    freedom of association.
    the highest bidder usually buys.
    the lowest offer usually sells.

remember, your attempted transaction is with the seller...not the competing buyer. if the seller sells to the other buyer and not you, no biggie.

maybe outbid that other buyer just to spite them!
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My philosophy, don't go out of your way to be a jerk, but deal for yourself and don't unduly concern yourself with the interests of others. Be professional and honest with the seller, and don't worry about anyone else.
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You don't owe the other buyer anything. Ignore him. Nothing is sold until the seller has cash in hand. I say GO FOR IT!! Just be sure to get and check out net references from the seller. Your above post is a bit confusing because its hard to tell where the other buyers post ends and your situation is explained. Good luck, I hope it is the bass of your dreams.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It is up to the seller to choose which buyer to sell the bass to. As a buyer, you have the same right to seek an advertised piece of gear as the next person.

The other buyer is out of line asking you to back out (and I wouldn't, if I were you) because he can't prove that what hee's saying is true. Hardly a crime, but still a pretty crummy thing to do.

The final word on an item being still for sale or not is the seller's and no one else's, and you can quote me on that.
  6. If you are interested in the bass make the seller an offer. It's up to him to decide. IMO the other interested party is out-of-line PMing you and asking you to back off.

Good Luck.
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'd check with the seller for any prior agreement. If there was/is then the other buyer is being fair. If not I'd consider ways to hurt him (;) for dense people).
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I imagine the other potential buyer was trying to strike a deal at less than the advertised price, and was worried you'd be willing to pay what was asked for. Free market, good man; don't even worry about the other guy.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Beh.....I said screw em....made a deal with the seller, and payment is going out tomorrow.

Thanks guys!
  10. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    SWEET!!! Congrats! It'll teach that guy to mess with the kitty pirate posse. Make sure to post some pics for us to drool over, ok?

11. Good for's the seller who decides who the bass is sold to! It does sound like the other guy (who I think was way out of line PMing you) was trying to haggle down the price and wanted you (who might have paid what the seller was asking) out of the picture!

Enjoy your new bass when it arrives!
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tim..good deal. I would have ignored the PM...