1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Online Concert

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by bejoyous, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    In case you didn't this because it was under the "Demonstrating the Bass to Elementary Students" thread, I've made a little online concert available here: http://www.youtube.com/user/bejoyous7

I made it as a educational show showing the various eras and musical styles.

2. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Hey Brian, really liked your online performance! You play great and your bass sounds awesome. Are you using Dominant Solo strings?

Cheers!

3. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Hey Calvin, thanks for watching. I wish I had waited to get a rehair and my bow straightened before I made the recordings though. Oh, well.

In my journey to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I use all Evahs, a wire tailpiece I built myself, I've cut the wings off the bridge and I tune DADG. I've found Dominants sound too scratchy unless you use just the right amount of pressure at just the right part of the string. Maybe if my bass was 200+ years old it would be different.

I also leave a crack in the lower bout open as a seasonal pressure relief valve. I've tried to force the plates together to close it, but I just can't exert enough pressure to do it. Over the past couple of years, I've noticed it goes from almost closed to open about 4 mm over the season.

Calvin, can you PM me with Ed Tait's email (if you have it) so I can let him know about my online concert?

4. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Hey Brian, I sent you a PM with Ed's e-mail. Did you by chance type out your rendition of Hallelujah? It's really beautiful...really impressed with your arranging skills. I'd love to play your version of Hallelujah in my recital, would that be possible?

Thanks!

Calvin

5. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Thanks for the email address.

I didn't write out the arrangement but the chord sequence for the verse is: C Am C Am F G C G, C F G Am F6 G E E/G# Am
    Chorus: F Am F Am C G C.

I play the melody mostly with harmonics. The F chords have the A note played on the tuning A on the D-string and the F note played a minor 6th above the open A. On the G chords I play the open G with my thumb and the D at the octave harmonic on the D-string.

I use DADG but it's possible to play this arrangement with EADG. If I remember, you use CGDA so I don't think this arrangement with suite your instrument. I wouldn't mess with tunings in the middle of a recital.

6. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Nope, I tune in fourths and play the French bow. My second bass is in fifths, and is a very fun alternative for playing the Bach Cello Suites.